Planting Wild Poinsettia Seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
We've had Wild Poinsettia that has re-seeded each year for about 30 years without my intervention. Our daughter is interested in planting seed I've recently saved for her. She lives in gardening zone 6/7. I know to only cover the seed with only 4-6 mm of soil but my question is when to plant. Plant now or just keep the seeds dry and wait until spring
Wild Poinsettia 9-11-18.JPG
Wild Poinsettia - 8-1-20.JPG
to plant the seed and leave them outdoors for winter vernalisation .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I once planted a poinsettia outside after enjoying it indoors for Christmas. It lasted several months in the Pacific Northwest. Then a deer stepped on it and it kicked off!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I once planted a poinsettia outside after enjoying it indoors for Christmas. It lasted several months in the Pacific Northwest. Then a deer stepped on it and it kicked off!
Thanks for responding.

Even with the deer, You had more success than we do with the house Poinsettia. Our Christmas purchased Poinsettias didn't do well outdoors with temperatures in the Plains states being from -20°F to +112°F, but I purchase 1 each Christmas to enjoy a few months indoors then in the flower bed cultivate the hardy outdoor Poinsettias from April until frost in October.

Ask a Question