Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
16 October 2020 Planting Garlic
Posted on October 16, 2020 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2020/October 2020/16 October 2020 Planting Garlic/HTML/ 16 October 2020 Planting Garlic
Five 16 foot rows of hard neck garlic was planted. One row of bulbils, one row of rounds and one row of rounds grown two years. And main crop of two rows of main crop cloves. The produce over winters and seems to thrive on some cold. I only recently starting growing bulbils and rounds. It is a little more work but rejuvenates the garlic stock yearly. I only grow hard neck. Required are about 100 plants. It always grows well in my area.It keeps in my little cold room for about 7 to 8 months. I always use my own stock for renewal.
dsc_0007_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old fashioned advice over here is to plant garlic on the shortest day of they year and harvest it on the longest day of the year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I have been trying different harvest times. End of August instead of mid July. When bulbs break the skin, the cloves get bigger. Leave the clones on until harvest. I don't use them at all. My observations are hard neck. Leave until about end or August before pulling.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The old fashioned advice over here is to plant garlic on the shortest day of they year and harvest it on the longest day of the year.
Yes I have posted that on here somewhere.
That is great when you know when the cold is going to be sufficient in your area, but garlic is at its best when it get eight weeks total below 4C. and in the Western part of the UK, we can sometimes get very mild winters, so planting prior to December, when we can get some of that cold, makes sense to me.
Futher, as you get north of the N Midlands, planting at the end of September or beginning of October gives some growth prior to winter, but not enough that it bolts come spring.
Prior to moving to SW Scotland, I had an allotment in Cheadle, Cheshire, where they had given up growing garlic, but started again after I had shown four consecutive years of growing bulbs you could not close your hand around.
I'm not suggesting that planting this early is the only factor in my success, but I do believe, since my associate planted his garlic at the traditional times and got rounds, that it is contributory, especially where winters can be temperate.

Ask a Question