Planning your vegetable garden

Reaction score
So as the new year started this is the time of year that I begin to plan my spring vegetable gardens. I am curious to hear what others are planning to grow this year.

Reaction score
Ouch! This will be the first year growing vegetables for me, so I'm going to go with stuff thats easy in my climate zone - courgettes spring to mind (zucchini in the USA). If I can get them some place safe from slugs, they should grow - a lot of local friends say that they're the easiest vegetable to grow.

Other than that, because I want the most "bang for the buck", I'm going to grow salad veg - especially lettuce, its so expensive in the shops, and so tasty. If I can make myself salads of lettuce, chives or basil or mint, mustard and cress and chopped onions and maybe beetroot, which I've also heard is easy, and all grown by me, I'll be really happy.

Reaction score
All I can grow are spinach, herbs, tomatoes and couple of gourds. That is all the space I have... at the moment. I would be lucky if I can get a few cumbers this time... last time all I got was leaves... grr... :eek:
I am happy to have fresh herbs for my cooking.. I love my coriander, mint, dill and of course the nice juicy tomatoes and spinach. :)

Reaction score
Tmann - AMAZING photos of your pond! So much effort, yet the end result is so worth it. I wish I had the space to do same, but it's nice to see you enjoying your large garden.
I am going to give ginger and watermelons a go, just for fun and to see if I can. Tomatoes are always a staple in my garden, even if I have nothing else going on. I'm also planning on planting bell peppers, potatoes, onions and peas.

Reaction score
This year we are looking at doing:
pickling cucumbers
alibi cucumbers (gherkins)
Tomatoes
Radishes
Onions
Variety of lettuces
Asparagus
variety of pepper plants
spinach

In years past we have tried watermelon, cantaloupe, broccoli and eggplant with not much success.

Reaction score
I really don't plan on growing any vegetables outside. I am leaning towards getting an indoor type of deal going on, like an Aerogarden (or something similar) for herbs so that I can have fresh herbs on hand for cooking.

Can't wait to see the pictures you post of the vegetable garden. My mother had vegetables gardens when I was growing up. I was too young to realize her genius in creating gardens and nurturing things into good growth.

Reaction score
This year I plan on planting sweet corn, green beans, zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, spinach and lettuce to name a few. I'm also going to plant watermelon and cantaloupe. We do have a strawberry patch that is about 20ftx 10ft. We haven't completely decided on the rest of veggies yet, but our garden is 40ft x 30ft, so we have plenty of space to work with.

I'm thinking of trying eggplant, and ideas on how it grow it?

Reaction score
I will be growing, sweet corn, buttercup and acorn squash, watermellon, cantaloupe, peas, spinach, tomatoes, onions, garlic, lots of hot peppers, orange bells, green beans, cucs, just to name a few plus herbs...

Reaction score
One thing I am going to try this year is to plant some vegetables throughout my regular garden beds in the backyard. I have extra space in some of my garden beds so I figure I will just plant them in any open spaces. So I may have a tomato plant between some salvia and irises. Will see what kind of success I get with them.

Jed

Reaction score
Our autumn is upon us down here and my wife and I are striking deals on what garden enclosures we can have each for winter and spring. There's five of them and it's like a game of poker.
Jednette "I've improved that one and mulched it up so it would be unfair if you use it. I want to put in cabbages, broccoli and cauliflower.":(

Me "But I need to grow my garlic in a completely new area because of the onion white root rot disease and I need to plant in April."

Jednette...Okay you can have half of it but I want to use the other one.

Me..."Deal." :)

Reaction score
Tmann I have done that with great success. The first time I got really good onions was when I planted them in my front of my flower bed, they got good water and grew awesome!. Now I have garlic bordering my lawn in the back and it does great there....

Ask a Question