Planning for fall crops (Central PA, USA)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Now that my garden has started producing (got my first ripe tomato yesterday!) I am starting to think of the fall crops I want to sow. In the past, I've always started fall seeds far too late to get a crop out of the plants before winter so I wanted to get some input from the group on when they start seeds for fall crops. (in central PA, USA)

I'm also thinking of putting a hoop greenhouse over at least part of my garden this fall to help extend the season, but I figured proper planning ahead of time will help too. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now that my garden has started producing (got my first ripe tomato yesterday!) I am starting to think of the fall crops I want to sow. In the past, I've always started fall seeds far too late to get a crop out of the plants before winter so I wanted to get some input from the group on when they start seeds for fall crops. (in central PA, USA)

I'm also thinking of putting a hoop greenhouse over at least part of my garden this fall to help extend the season, but I figured proper planning ahead of time will help too. ;)
The first thing you need to know is your first frost date. You can google it and add your zip code. All seed packets have the days to harvest on them so just count back from your first frost date and that will give you starting point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The first thing you need to know is your first frost date. You can google it and add your zip code. All seed packets have the days to harvest on them so just count back from your first frost date and that will give you starting point.
It sounds so simple when you explain it. :p I feel like and idiot, but most years, I don't even start thinking about things for fall until way too late to get them started. I'll see if I can't calculate some dates and stick to them this year. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
State College here! I'm also interested in learning when to plant what for multiple harvests throughout the year We did our 1st raised beds this spring and things are coming along nicely. I'll post anything I learn about fall planting/harvests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
*waves*

I'm in Lock Haven, good to see you!

I think as long as I do the math (and remember to do so earlier than I usually do) I will be able to get a harvest in. I just ordered cauliflower seeds for the fall. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ask a Question