5B
Country
United States
This sounds promising!!!
20230417_175259_1_compress71.jpg
20230417_175320_compress98.jpg
20230417_175328_compress53.jpg
20230417_175833_compress18.jpg

Here are pictures of things growing under pine trees at our farm. They are only weeds because my dad sprays roundup around them so he doesn't have to mow underneath the branches but without the roundup it would be thick grass.

Dr. Linda Chalker Scott said that it's a myth that nothing will grow under or near pine trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I will absolutely! I’ve got to take some before and after photos and I’ll post em in here too - thanks everyone
The second picture has my hops vine growing but you can barely see it. Also I grew a luffa vine right next to the same tree and the vine grrew up in the tree but I don't have any pictures of that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would just like to point out that Spruce trees are not the same as Pine trees. I may be worth making sure you get the identity right before spending money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here are pictures of things growing under pine trees at our farm. They are only weeds because my dad sprays roundup around them so he doesn't have to mow underneath the branches but without the roundup it would be thick grass.

We did that too for alot of years. Then we finally figured out it was slowly killing the pine trees. Once they start loosing their branches, it is basically done for. We have lost most of ours at this point. If you are going to continue doing that, at least spray away from any root and only spray lightly on the weed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rhododendron, Azaleas, Ferns are also an option.

Those are acid loving plants and I see where you are coming from but I have checked the pH under my pine trees a few times and the pH isn't near low enough to support those. I would check the pH first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
We did that too for alot of years. Then we finally figured out it was slowly killing the pine trees. Once they start loosing their branches, it is basically done for. We have lost most of ours at this point. If you are going to continue doing that, at least spray away from any root and only spray lightly on the weed.
That's not my doing. That is the work of my dad and since he owns the trees, I can't do anything about it. He won't listen to me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Round Up. Foolishly used it once around the perimeter of vegetable garden years ago, and the toxic mist ended up altering sunflowers growing around the garden - they grew twisted and sickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Those are acid loving plants and I see where you are coming from but I have checked the pH under my pine trees a few times and the pH isn't near low enough to support those. I would check the pH first.
Have seen these growing beautifully around pines - especially ferns. However, with that said, the soil conditions may still require improvement.

Ask a Question