Pine Trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I know that this can seem to be a rarrher silly question, but I want to ask, how do you grow a pine tree? We have an old pine tree at home, and we want to have another. Does it grow from seeds? Or by taking a piece of it and replanting it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know that this can seem to be a rarrher silly question, but I want to ask, how do you grow a pine tree? We have an old pine tree at home, and we want to have another. Does it grow from seeds? Or by taking a piece of it and replanting it?
You can grow another from the seeds in the pine cone but it will be your grandkids who will enjoy it. It will take years from a seed to a tree. I don't think you can propagate a pine from cuttings but I might be mistaken

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
You can grow another from the seeds in the pine cone but it will be your grandkids who will enjoy it. It will take years from a seed to a tree. I don't think you can propagate a pine from cuttings but I might be mistaken

Hmm... I see. That seems sad though. I guess we'll have to look for another tree to plant. Thanks very much for the info. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My dad gets seedlings from a forrestry service that give them out for free sometimes. He has one he started growing about 4 years ago and it is about 4 feet tall. Your best bet is to get one that has already started growing.

Ask a Question