Norfolk Island Pine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I just got this lovely Norfolk Island into my flat. It was delivered and after I unwrapped it, it's very droopy. Some of the branches are curling slightly. In terms of the main stem, the stake is holding it up but it seems like it would literally fall over if it wasn't there (as the top section has done already as the stake doesn't reach that high up). Does anyone know what might be up?

Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 264
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
Welcome Ted. I have one 15 feet tall... The ends of the branches are a little droopy naturally. The twisted ones may straighten out with time...and the main trunk may at times have to be supported until it hardens off.. They do silly things according to their needs. Mine, I decided will not get moved anymore and is now smashed up to the top of the greenhouse...Now the main trunk is beginning to bend and a small sprout is developing at the bend.. that is about half way up the trunk. It is sort of interesting what they do out of necessity.. So while yours is still smallish, treat it right and it may straighten out to your liken. Give it a nice spacious pot, good soil, and great light. You should turn the pot a quarter every week so it becomes well rounded...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for your reply. I hope it has enough light. I live in the UK but I do have an east facing room with floor to ceiling windows (the wall is almost entirely glass). I keep the blinds down most of the time but they are translucent. Hence, the ambient light is high although light is not direct - hope that's ok for him!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
Well, @tedrosner .....by what I see in the pics, you have enough light. There are 2 things that I see may be a problem after looking at the pics. The pot that it is in may be a problem and then the saucer to catch water is the other. I would get a little bit larger pot and make sure you use a soil that drains very well. You don't want to ruin the floor so I would definitely use a larger saucer with a little higher side. You could buy a saucer with wheels or sometimes I use, what we call a "piano mover" under a larger plant. What that would allow you to do is, get that plant through that sliding door when the weather is not real sunny. A good rainy day would be good, for plants like to be dusted and cleaned once in a while...I see from the other side of your dwelling that there is no roof over the outdoor area.

pine.jpg

pine1.jpg

pine3.jpg

Here is mine in the greenhouse. They can get out of control and wild. I stopped taking it outside in summer because if it grew any taller I would break it getting it back in for winter. So now the trunk is hitting the peak of the greenhouse and is beginning to make a natural curve in the middle of the trunk. It also is sprouting new shoots at that point also.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much for your replies guys - really appreciated. I've read all the guidance about the tree available online and I'm going to re-pot in a 40cm (38 litre) pot with this soil, as well as clay pebbles in the bottom:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008MJXGOS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully then it'll be ok.

If it stays bent over like that, is it worth getting a taller, stronger cane or will it straighten out on its own?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
Not sure if you are talking about staking my tree or if you are asking if you should but a stronger stake on yours.......Mine is very strong and tall... the reason mine is going bent is because it is smashing on the peak of the greenhouse and instead of going through the glass it is forcing it go bend in the middle. As it does I see a new shoot developing on the top side of the bend...it is taking years to do it. I don't mind mine doing what it is doing...

Now yours is a different story...it is not strong yet. I would make sure the stake is always stronger than the plant. Especially if you move it in and outside. A plant that is grown indoor is not going to be as strong as one that grows outside or in a greenhouse...

I must have mine for 10 years now and it was smaller than yours is now, when I got it...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if you are talking about staking my tree or if you are asking if you should but a stronger stake on yours.......Mine is very strong and tall... the reason mine is going bent is because it is smashing on the peak of the greenhouse and instead of going through the glass it is forcing it go bend in the middle. As it does I see a new shoot developing on the top side of the bend...it is taking years to do it. I don't mind mine doing what it is doing...

Now yours is a different story...it is not strong yet. I would make sure the stake is always stronger than the plant. Especially if you move it in and outside. A plant that is grown indoor is not going to be as strong as one that grows outside or in a greenhouse...

I must have mine for 10 years now and it was smaller than yours is now, when I got it...

Ah I meant the second question - thanks so much for your answer.

My flat faces east and gets direct sun in the morning. Would it be good to put my tree on the balcony in the summer? Would a London summer be too cold for it? My balcony is 5 stories up so it’s also quite windy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
OMGosh!!!! I am from Pa, in USA...I don't know about the temps out your way but if it is windy you can anchor it with rope to that railing out there...

Ask a Question