What's the healthiest types of Pine Tree for consumption/medicinal use I could try growing in my zone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
What's the healthiest types of Pine Tree for consumption/medicinal use I could try growing in my zone?
Any names/recommendations appreciated.
Thanks!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Howdy from the Piney woods of East Texas....they don't call this the Piney woods for nothing.

I notice you show zone 8b and that happens to be my zone also.

The longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Miller) has properties than many folks have used for generations in these woods.

The pollen, a yellowish powdery substance works as a flour substitute and/or stew thickener...but is only available in spring. It accumulates on everything such as windshields overnight and is readily collected. The long needles for which it is named are often used to make tea...very tasty and I hear nutritious. The longleaf I have produces very large pinecones from which excellent pine nuts can be gathered. The inner bark is edible, I'm told, and nutritious (tender white meat between the outer bark and the inner trunk).

The mighty longleaf has a life expectancy of 300 years and grows to great heights...but is relatively slow growing. It has been harvested out of most of East Texas and is not generally replanted except as conservation measures because it isn't economical like the other soft pines like loblolly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks very much indeed for taking the time to describe what sounds like a wonderful pine tree for me to consider with it's diverese uses and benefits. It's a new health interest of mine after watching this fascinating video about pines:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The Mexican pinon (Pinus cembroides), the Colorado pinion (P. edulis), the Italian stone pine (P. pinea), and the Chinese nut pine (P. koraiensis) make pine nuts. After some years.

Ask a Question