Peppers

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have four pepper plants and all of them have this problem. Haven't been able to use even one since planting these. Any help on what this is and what I can do will be appreciated!!

Attachments

• 20210712_193008.jpg
    20210712_193008.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have four pepper plants and all of them have this problem. Haven't been able to use even one since planting these. Any help on what this is and what I can do will be appreciated!!
What you have going on is the same thing many tomato growers are experiencing and it is called Blossom End Rot. It is not a disease. It is caused by the plants' inability to uptake calcium or the soil is deficient in calcium. A soil calcium deficiency is very rare. The cure for this is very simple. Just apply a couple of big handfuls of Epsom Salts around the base of the plant out to the drip line and water it in. It is much better to do this at time of planting but it will still stop future peppers from having this problem. There is nothing you can do once the peppers are affected but future peppers should be OK. You can cut off the affected part and the rest of the pepper will be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Epsom salt it is! I've been putting washed and crushed egg shells, but will apply Epsom salt at well. Thanks!!
It takes a long time for eggshells to break down enough for plant uptake. I really doubt that your soil is deficient but a much better way of adding calcium is to use bone meal. You can also use lime but I think bone meal is a better choice. Also, at planting time put a handful of rock phosphate into the hole and set the plant directly on top of it.

Ask a Question