Help with Bell Peppers

S68

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I am resident of Dallas, Texas trying to grow bell peppers for the first time but facing a problem in it. I have attached pictures of the plant out of which one picture is focused on the affected area of the pepper. I have grown it in a container in our patio where there is direct sun for almost 4-5 hrs as the patio is west facing. Here the temperatures in daytime goes upto 100 degree F.

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 144
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It does look like scald. Which type pepper is that? I see a label but its not viewable. The plant has an odd habit with peppers above the foiliage. When its on the patio, does the concrete hit high temps like 135f or more and is there glass that doubles up the solar radiation via reflection onto the plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, that is sunscald. It is getting more than enough direct sunshine. If you can keep the plant growing in this heat it will produce a fall crop of pepper. If you could make something to keep the afternoon sun off of the plant it would help. Next time choose a variety that covers the fruit with foliage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Chuck it seems like radiant intensity has been more of an issue lately. Are you aware of any guidance related to solar intensity levels or ranges for plants where they may be translated to heat measurements with a light meter or infra-red meter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Bell peppers unprotected by foliage seem to do that, especially now under the intense summer Texas sun. Some of mine have if I cannot find a way to put some foliage over them or otherwise shade the fruit. I pick them before it gets too pronounced and just cut away the bad area and before general rot sets in. The heat of high summer in my part of Texas generally stunts the size of the fruit and reduces the quality overall, maybe that’s true in your area too.

Fall does offer a renewal for peppers and another burst of better fruit and growing conditions. Plants just have to be nursed along for a couple of months to get there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck it seems like radiant intensity has been more of an issue lately. Are you aware of any guidance related to solar intensity levels or ranges for plants where they may be translated to heat measurements with a light meter or infra-red meter?
In places where folks have had their plants and fruits damaged or severe bloom drop it is usually accompanied by unusually high radiant heat as well as intense sunlight. In my case it was well over 100F for an extended period. In Texas it is common for this to happen. It just so happened that this time the temperatures were higher than normal. It is one reason we have to be selective on the types of tomatoes and peppers we grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
S68, it looks like some roots may be partially exposed near the base, but it's hard to tell. I also recommend applying mulch to keep your moisture levels more even.

S68

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thankyou everyone for the help. I will work on it. I will keep the plant in shade. Hope that works.

Last edited:

Ask a Question