Pepper tree shading help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
South Africa
Good day fellow gardeners. I am still a novice so it has been a great relief to find such a knowledgeable community. I hope you will be able to help me.

I have a huge pepper tree growing in my front garden. I provides beautiful shading during the year, but it also causes grass and plants that is in its shade to die as it does not allow any sunlight to penetrate.

What plants will be best to grow in its shade and what type of grass to I need to plant. I am really at my wits end as my yard looks horrible underneath the tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are very few if any turf grasses that will do well in shade. Here in the US we use ground covers of which there are literally hundreds. Some are flowering, some are colorful and most are carefree. Not knowing what is available in your area I would suggest you go to a plant nursery and inquire there as to what is the best for your situation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are several varieties of grasses that grow in shade, when you go to buy the seeds just seek one out that says it will grow in shade. I know lilies grow well in shade, my aunt had a ring of them growing under an oak tree in her yard when I was a teen, she made me plant them. She had it set up so that there were two varieties of plants that grew under that tree, one bloomed during the colder months, the other during the warmer months. It was pretty neat to watch as one dies, the other pops up. I can't remember what the other flower was though. I think it was tulips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
South Africa
Thank you for the replies. I have used shaded grass seeds but to no avail. I think the biggest problem is that I have a sand/clay mixture as soil. It is torn up pretty easily by birds so I need to plant already grown grass instead of seedlings. This is a much larger investment and that is why I have not taken the plunge as yet.

Ask a Question