Pecan trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My boyfriend loves pecans. I mentioned the other day with how much he loves them it might be a good investment for us to plant a tree. Has anyone had a pecan tree? Are they a finicky tree to grow and would the do alright in a temperate climate? I have to eat a fairly raw type of diet, so I like the idea of being able to supplement our diets from our garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My boyfriend loves pecans. I mentioned the other day with how much he loves them it might be a good investment for us to plant a tree. Has anyone had a pecan tree? Are they a finicky tree to grow and would the do alright in a temperate climate? I have to eat a fairly raw type of diet, so I like the idea of being able to supplement our diets from our garden.
There are different varieties that will thrive in different climates. A pecan tree is a long term investment and usually needs specialized care to really produce. They must be planted in deep soils to do their best as they have a very large tap root and need substantial amounts of water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There are different varieties that will thrive in different climates. A pecan tree is a long term investment and usually needs specialized care to really produce. They must be planted in deep soils to do their best as they have a very large tap root and need substantial amounts of water
That sounds perfect for the area I want to plant it in. Our back yard is sloped away from the house and I want to plant it in the back when there is the most moisture. I suppose it would come down to if my boyfriend would thing the tree would "fit" into the landscaping of the back yard. If not a pecan tree, I will get a tree that produced food of some kind. He's in for trouble!

Reaction score
I suggest that you plant a grafted tree, and you should see a small crop in 5 years. Native seedlings can take 10-15 years to produce. Pecans are alternate bearers so don't panic if some years there are no pecans. It has been my personal experience that paper shell pecans are not worth planting. I prefer the native pecans , because they just taste better, but the oil content is higher.

Ask a Question