Pecans

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased a couple of small Hardy Pecan Trees and planted them this spring. After doing some reading I noticed a some people dissuade other from planting seedling pecans steering them towards grafted variety. I do want to eventually have a trees that produce decent nuts - even if I might just be feeding the squirrels. Should I transplant these trees elsewhere and replace them with grafted varieties or would that be nuts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I purchased a couple of small Hardy Pecan Trees and planted them this spring. After doing some reading I noticed a some people dissuade other from planting seedling pecans steering them towards grafted variety. I do want to eventually have a trees that produce decent nuts - even if I might just be feeding the squirrels. Should I transplant these trees elsewhere and replace them with grafted varieties or would that be nuts?
It all depends on how much time you are willing to invest before nut production and/or nut proclivity begins. A grafted tree will begin to produce a few nuts in 3-4 years. Full production about 10 years. A seedling begins limited production in 6-8 years and full production in about 12-15 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. Will the seedling pecan produce decent nuts or it is a crap shoot?
Hardy Pecans give excellent results overall. Just remember that a pecan needs water. A lot of water. More water than you can deliver. That is why a pecan tree has a tremendous tap root system, a root that will go down many feet. Ever wonder why just about all of the pecan trees you see are in river and creek bottoms or at least in the vicinity of a body of water. And all the rest are in really deep deep soil. Location is what matters in a pecan tree and if you have a fairly shallow ground water source you will be successful

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
We are in luck. They are in the front yard in heavy clay soil about 10 feet from a draining ditch that holds water after a heavy rain. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question