Peach face lovebird

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hey guys.

As some of you might have heard, I lost my bird, Rio. I have been feeling really low and lost without any birds company, so I bought this cute little lovebird baby. He is a male peach faced lovebird. Here is a picture of him. He's still a baby, so don't laugh at his naked body :D

Here he is.

Isn't he beautiful??

Also, I have a video of him snuggled up in a towel.

I wanted to name him Tiki, but since he's a male, I might call him something more masculine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh my goodness. He is adorable! I think the name is plenty masculine too. :)

Question. Are such birds social or flocking types, or more solitary? The comedian Dave Barry had a regular bit I always loved; he was a dog owner and always had a "main dog" and at least one back-up dog. And dogs are mostly very social, so I've always had at least two at a time and joke about which is the main one and which is the back-up.

Anyway I am fairly ignorant about bird care, so I'm interested. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Oh yeah, birds are very social and friendly animals. You just have to get them used to humans at a young age and they'll love you forever. Here is a video of my previous bird laying on his back and letting me massage his head.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So then hence my question...wouldn't it be better to have two birds? To keep each other company naturally and fulfilled. Cute that it is how your birds interact with you (and Rio indeed looks very happy there) it seems sort of sad to keep a social animal in artificial seclusion, with its only social interaction limited and on human terms.

I admit to being biased though. I do not like the idea of any wild animal (or bird or reptile) being kept in captivity as a pet, for any reason except for the overall wellbeing of the species.

Oh boy I hope I didn't just open a can of worms here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Lovebirds are very picky and choosy with their mates. It's better to get one as you will develop a better bond with you, rather than if you had a pair.

Also, don't worry. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I try to make their habitat very similar to their natrual one. They have a large enclosure with many stimulating toys. They also get the best seeds/fruits/vegetables with pellets for additional protein. I also give them daily interaction by taking them out of the cage. I clean their whole cage and room once a week.

Trust me, they do fine. I remember Rio once got outside and we lost him. When we followed his call and he finally saw us, he flew down from the highest tree proving his love to us. He also had a great memory and could easily distinguish between me and other people.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Yes, of course, it is healthy to share contrasting views in a friendly manner. I could have written your post @Beth_B. We share the same views. .I remember when people were getting pigs as house pets. But pigs need the company of other pigs or at least one pig needs the company of another pig, or they become neurotic and depressed.

I understand your love of birds @CrazyConure and there are millions of people who share your views and keep birds or bird and i understand you give your birds a fine level of attention and care. In nature, your little peach face could be tossed out of the nest and left to die because he might be one bird too many to feed. So there are downsides to keeping them in captivity as well as in the natural world. And, no one here is passing judgment on your practice. Still, i think a pair would be an interesting, rewarding, and fun experiment for you to try:) It just seems to me that lovebirds should come in pairs...after all you are not the same species and i am sure they would love you just as much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, well that is the cutest thing that I have seen today. That is exciting for you, and I am glad that you found someone who can help you with the loss of your friend Rio - I love that name by the way. Losing a pet and a friend is never easy, but it helps to have a buddy along for the ride, especially a cute little thing like you have here. Very nice and I am glad for you, and thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)Yes, i am glad for you as well, and i am really looking forward to seeing him grow up right here in photos and videos. I hope you will share them with us.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hey guys.

As some of you might have heard, I lost my bird, Rio. I have been feeling really low and lost without any birds company, so I bought this cute little lovebird baby. He is a male peach faced lovebird. Here is a picture of him. He's still a baby, so don't laugh at his naked body :D

Here he is.

Isn't he beautiful??

Also, I have a video of him snuggled up in a towel.

I wanted to name him Tiki, but since he's a male, I might call him something more masculine.
Very cute CrazyConure. Tiki is a great name, not too "girly" for a such a big fella;). Im glad for you too, that you have a newbie to help and to love.:love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I thought this would interest you guys. How's this for cheeky. ;)
I was sitting on my deck with my feet up (after 5 hours if wheel barrowing mulch onto my garden so well deserved I think) when a young king parrot landed on the railing, as they do twice a day, asking to be fed. I didn't get up immediately as i was exhausted. He flew onto the coffee table, then on to my upturned feet and then proceeded to walk up my leg. I had my ipaddy-galaxy-tablet-thingie next to me so I was able to capture this. They are tame but not usually quite that tame. Males are completely red in the front including head and the females green chested and headed. The reason I think this is a young male is there is red in his chest, he is smaller and his bravado and confidence ;).
rps20160920_161145.jpg
rps20160920_161212.jpg
rps20160920_161241.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your baby is so cute, he will do just fine as the only bird in the house with lots of love and play time with you. I don't know how I would feel if I ever lot my Red Lored parrot after nearly 30s of living with a nasty mouth bird :LOL: She gets her F"s and T's mix up, she a real love and I'll be lost with out her.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Your baby is so cute, he will do just fine as the only bird in the house with lots of love and play time with you. I don't know how I would feel if I ever lot my Red Lored parrot after nearly 30s of living with a nasty mouth bird :LOL: She gets her F"s and T's mix up, she a real love and I'll be lost with out her.
Wow, 30 years! What is your foul mouthed "parrofs" name. She must be very entertaining.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question