Peace lily wilting - please help me save it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! Our peace lily, which we have had for over 5 years without any issues, recently started wilting and seems to be dying. I usually water once a week (same as always) and the plant itself gets plenty of indirect light. What do you think is the issue and how can I save it? This has not been repotted, this is the original pot it came in. We were away for a few weeks and our neighbor was watering our plants for us (not for the first time) , which might be the issue but they have indoor plants of their own so I would assume they would know how to go about it.

Can this be saved? It has sentimental value. TIA.

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings welcome to the Forums.

This is overwatering and/or poor drainage. Check the soil and the pot for any drainage issues.

Repotting is a good idea. The plant may or may not recover. It all depends on how damaged the roots are.

Underwatering can also look like this, but then the plant would have soon revived when watered.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your advice, so I remove this soil completely and replace with fresh soil? How often should I be watering it? There is no drainage in this pot so I water carefully, like I said it seems to have worked for 5 years. I suspect the neighbor might have over watered it. How much water and at what frequency do you recommend?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, don't wash all the soil away, let loose clumps fall away and cut off any obviously dead roots, but don't damage the central rootball. Just repot it in fresh-well-draining potting soil.

Yes, sometimes people are able to keep a plant alive in a container without drainage by watering just enough and no more. Those open-top glass terrariums operate on this principle. Still, I don't advise it, because long term, there is a high likelihood that the moisture balance will be thrown off one way or another. Also salts and other toxins will build up in the soil.

If you like the pot you were using, you might be able to drill, tap, or scratch a drainage hole into the bottom.
Alternatively, you could use it as a cache pot with a draining plastic pot inside. Just be sure to either irrigate the plant in the sink or drain the cache pot soon after irrigation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds good, I will give it a shot. Much obliged. For the draining plastic pot you suggested in the end, will it matter if the pot is much less in volume as compared to this pot? It will have to be smaller if I am to fit it inside this bigger pot and use this one as a cache pot, as you advise.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Normally one would re-pot into a larger container, but if the rootball has become smaller, you could use a similar-sized container, but don't select one too small, unless you decide to completely split the plant into smaller divisions.
That actually might be good idea. Select the clump of rhizome that looks the healthiest and cut away the rest. Use a sharp knife or secateurs. If there are several healthy clumps you may re-pot them all separately and have several plants. Still, do remember this plant has been severely stressed so don't expect vigorous growth or an attractive appearance very soon.
After the plants seem stabilized following re-potting, you should apply a light dose of a complete fertilizer.

Ask a Question