tiny TINY white bugs all over peace lily pot

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My peace lily is over run by these tiny little crawling white bugs. They’re especially noticeable on the black pot, they’re on the plant but strangely not as dense. I’ve previously had springtails in another pot but they were exclusively in the soil and never the plant and certainly not on the pot. And they were obvious when they jumped. These don’t jump!
I’ve drench the pot and plant and soil in neem oil multiple times but it doesn’t seem to affect them!
The strange thing is this was one large peace lily that I divided up and the other one doesn’t have any problems!

ive tried to take a photo of them but without a macro lense it’s pretty much impossible. I can’t even make out their for or shape with the naked eye.

Attachments

• 93A4327B-36A1-4BCB-BAE5-5F4B8DCA0ECA.jpeg
    93A4327B-36A1-4BCB-BAE5-5F4B8DCA0ECA.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 8B3B8902-7DAB-4D68-AC68-926F923C583B.jpeg
    8B3B8902-7DAB-4D68-AC68-926F923C583B.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 221
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My peace lily is over run by these tiny little crawling white bugs. They’re especially noticeable on the black pot, they’re on the plant but strangely not as dense. I’ve previously had springtails in another pot but they were exclusively in the soil and never the plant and certainly not on the pot. And they were obvious when they jumped. These don’t jump!
I’ve drench the pot and plant and soil in neem oil multiple times but it doesn’t seem to affect them!
The strange thing is this was one large peace lily that I divided up and the other one doesn’t have any problems!

ive tried to take a photo of them but without a macro lense it’s pretty much impossible. I can’t even make out their for or shape with the naked eye.
Those are probably white soil mites and they help break down organic matter in the soil.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I think you're right and I think they're out of the soil because this pot is waaaay too wet for them and for the plant. We're coming into summer so I was a little overzealous with the watering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although these little bugs work hard on your soil/compost I don`t think they are very people friendly :( If the plants were mine I would repot them into some fresh and slightly drier compost, and tip the mites out into the garden to play.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Why are you growing it under such weird light? They’re real easy to grow in almost any light level and look much better as green plants than weird pinky/purple ones. And removing the soil is awfully drastic for a cosmetic issue.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
And removing the soil is awfully drastic for a cosmetic issue.
I wouldn't call severe root rot a cosmetic issue. Even if they didn't I wouldn't exactly call bugs crawling all over the pot and table a cosmetic issue but that's just a personal things I suppose.

They've perked up a lot since I trimmed the rotted roots off and repotted into a smaller and drier pot. It has been really hot outside and I've had to increase watering my outdoor plants so got carried away watering the indoor plants at the same time causing this issue. lesson learnt.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Glad they picked up - sounds like you may have been just in time (y) My daughter grows those peace lillies, and she is living near Brisbane, I have often wondered if they would be ok outside in the garden over the summer months ??

Ask a Question