Peace lily almost completely floppy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've had my peace lily for around 3 years. It did have flowers for the first 1.5 years, but after the last lot died it's just been leaves. It used to look very healthy, but in the last 3 months it's become more and more floppy. I repotted it around 6 weeks ago to a pot of the same size, with new houseplant soil. I water it when the top inch feels dry, and it lives in a south facing room, but I keep it away from the window so it isn't scorched. It's recently looking absolutely terrible: floppy and more leaves turning yellow then drying up, no flowers, leaves limp not glossy , and I'm not sure how to fix it! Some photos below. Any advice on how to get her back to life would be amazing.

thanks so much,

sophie

Attachments

• PXL_20230620_162252394.jpg
    PXL_20230620_162252394.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230620_162256641.jpg
    PXL_20230620_162256641.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230620_162300010.jpg
    PXL_20230620_162300010.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When you repotted it, did you leave any of the original soil and roots attached?
If you removed most of the soil, you also removed most of the roots that were absorbing water. Did you thoroughly soak it after you replanted it? When you water, does water come out of the drainholes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I removed a fair amount of the soil, but tried not to damage the roots..I did loosen some of the soil between the roots though so may have damaged them. I did water it quite thoroughly and am finding it holds water for longer now actually, the soil seems to take longer to dry out so perhaps the roots left are damaged. Do you think it's salvageable?

I am also wondering if something was wrong before I repotted it, as I did that when it was first starting to look sad and not flower anymore! Oh dear.

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
When you increase the amount of soil you also increase the amount of water. If the water volume is more than the original volume you will cut the oxygen in the root zone causing the plant to wilt. Let your soil dry more and when you water, only water the old soil in the new soil and not around the edge. Don't flush the pot with excess water until the plant recovers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Soph,
You mentioned that you repotted about 6 weeks ago - Do you think its possible that since then you have over watered it?

I had similar thing happen to my peace lily and it seems they are quite sensitive to root rot & over-watering.

Advice would be to let it dry out between waters (like a week or so depending on ur humidity).

You said the soil takes a long time to dry out: potentially the soil is packed too tight, this can also lead to the plant being more susceptible to root rot. Could you repot again in a more free draining mix? (add perlite)

Finally, if your plant does have root rot (looks a bit like it from the pictures and ur description) then I would advise treating it with an effective organic treatment like this one I have tried for mine - results were quick and impressive:

Kind regards,
Frasor

Ask a Question