Peace Lily Problems

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hello all.
I have had this peace lily for more than a year, and it has done very well. Unfortunately, now many of the leaves are turning black, and though there seem to be plenty of new flower shoots appearing, nothing is blooming.
It's possible that my home has been much colder this season, but I have no idea if that is a possible cause.
I will appreciate any and all suggestions and advice.
Many thanks,
janice

Attachments

• Peace Lily.jpg
    Peace Lily.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Does that pot have a drain hole or is it a self-watering pot? It may have a build-up of salts from your tapwater. You can leach them if it seems to be that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thanks very much for your reply. There are drainage holes at the bottom of the pot, and the only thing that has changed in the plant's life is the temperature. I will use distilled water now and see if the condition changes. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the leaves of your peace lily are turning black, it could be a sign of several potential issues, including overwatering, underwatering, low humidity, or exposure to cold temperatures. Here are some tips to help diagnose and address these issues:

1. Overwatering: Peace lilies prefer consistently moist soil, but they do not like to be overwatered. If the soil is constantly wet or water is allowed to accumulate in the bottom of the pot, this can cause the roots to rot and lead to blackening of the leaves. Make sure the soil is well-draining and that the pot has drainage holes. Water the plant when the top inch of soil feels dry to the touch.

2. Underwatering: If the soil becomes too dry, the leaves of the peace lily can turn black and wilt. Make sure you are watering the plant often enough, and that the soil is not drying out completely. When you water the plant, water it thoroughly until water runs out of the drainage holes, and then let the excess water drain away.

3. Low humidity: Peace lilies prefer higher humidity levels, and exposure to dry air can cause the leaves to turn black or brown at the tips or edges. You can increase humidity by placing a tray of water near the plant, grouping plants together, or using a humidifier.

4. Exposure to cold temperatures: Peace lilies are tropical plants and do not tolerate cold temperatures well. If the plant is exposed to temperatures below 55°F (12°C), this can cause the leaves to turn black or brown. Make sure the plant is not near a drafty window or in a room that is too cold.

In terms of the lack of blooming, peace lilies generally bloom in the spring and summer, so it's possible that your plant is just going through a dormant period. However, if the plant is not getting enough light or nutrients, this can also affect blooming. Make sure the plant is getting bright, indirect light and that you are fertilizing it regularly with a balanced houseplant fertilizer.

By addressing the potential issues of overwatering, underwatering, low humidity, and exposure to cold temperatures, you should be able to help your peace lily recover and return to its healthy, blooming state.

For more info check this resource
Facebook Page:
Youtube Channel Link:

Hello all.
I have had this peace lily for more than a year, and it has done very well. Unfortunately, now many of the leaves are turning black, and though there seem to be plenty of new flower shoots appearing, nothing is blooming.
It's possible that my home has been much colder this season, but I have no idea if that is a possible cause.
I will appreciate any and all suggestions and advice.
Many thanks,
janice

Ask a Question