Peace Lily problems once again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Every few weeks this peace lily manages to complain about something.
It seems that one of its young flowers is dying, poor thing didn't get to bloom. I don't know what to do now.

7ckVffA.jpg

I thought this plant was easy to take care of. Why isn't it happy? :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
2 things that are good to know: How much do you water it?
How much light does it get?

Is this an isolated incident, or are other flowers dying? Also, a good rule of thumb is plants thrive off of neglect. Leave it be and it will probably be fine.
If youre real worried I would just remove the dead part, but I dont have any specific experience with this plant so I cant say if thats a good course of action or not.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
I don't know if neglecting it is good, water is gonna evaporate quickly in the summer (even indoors). The pot is on a table that gets a bit of indirect sunlight. I have two plants, both are suffering from the same thing (dying flower), so I'm trying to test new locations to see which makes them happier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I really know nothing of Peace lillies, but I keep replying because I have one; I normally wouldn't buy one, but the vast majority of my exotic plants I have received as gifts -- women just like giving me plants:D.

This plant was also given to me and since I don't do container gardening, nor do I like having house plants; I did a little research and found that it hates direct sun, so I planted it under my live oak tree.

However, I've also heard that it doesn't like a lot of watering, and many owners wait for the leaves to droop before watering, so maybe you should think about doing that.

Personally, I very infrequently water the plant, much less frequent than once per week. I only do it when we haven't had rain in a very long time, which is what we're going thru now with a minor drought and my plant does fine, but then again it's in the ground.

However, another thought came to mind that may be a problem with your plant. You live in the UAE, I'm not sure, but I would think that your area has very low humidity...correct?

If so, you may want to occasionally mist your plant. I understand that they like at least 40% humidity. You might even want to mist the top layer of the soil enough to where it's moist, but not enough to where it soaks into the soil, that way it evaporates and creates a little humidity. I think it's worth a try.

So to recap, I would recommend waiting for the leaves to droop before watering and to some way increase humidity level -- it's a tropical plant and it's humid in the tropics.

BTW, here a few pics on my Peace Lily, I thought I'd add since it just started flowering. I took a couple pics of at least three very rough-looking leaves. I think the problem is that it receives too much direct sunlight (morning sun), so I'm thinking of planting something in front of it as the sun rises, otherwise the live oak provides very good shade.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
I don't remember seeing the humidity levels under 40%. It's always above 40%. Right now it's at 52%. But I have my peace lilies indoors, don't know if that makes any difference. I wait until the plant droops slightly before watering. Don't really know what's causing the flowers to brown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You say one of its flowers turned brown before it got a chance to bloom. How about the other flowers? Do you have any flowers that bloom, if so how many vs. the number that turn brown before blooming?

NOTE: It's normal for flowers to turn brown after blooming.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
You say one of its flowers turned brown before it got a chance to bloom. How about the other flowers? Do you have any flowers that bloom, if so how many vs. the number that turn brown before blooming?

NOTE: It's normal for flowers to turn brown after blooming.

I know about spent flowers. I'm just having this problem about young flowers that didn't bloom that just die. I was just wondering if anyone knew what could be causing this. This is happening on two separate plants in different locations.
I was really looking forward to see them bloom but they're turning brown now. :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I know about spent flowers. I'm just having this problem about young flowers that didn't bloom that just die. I was just wondering if anyone knew what could be causing this. This is happening on two separate plants in different locations.
I was really looking forward to see them bloom but they're turning brown now. :cry:
I don't know, but I am starting to get "sucked" into this problem:D

I even read an article http://homeguides.sfgate.com/peace-lily-blossoms-turning-brown-101787.html

titled:
Why Are My Peace Lily Blossoms Turning Brown?

However, it never really answered the question posed by the titleo_O

Have you had any flowers fully bloom? I'm still kind of on the humidity issue. Hopefully, someone with more experience with this plant will weigh in, because I'm not having any luck finding your exact problem in anything I've read...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
@roadrunner When I bought the plants earlier this year, they had flowers that already bloomed. But after they were spent, I haven't seen any new blooms. The two flowers that have yet to bloom, as I mentioned above, are beginning to brown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@roadrunner When I bought the plants earlier this year, they had flowers that already bloomed. But after they were spent, I haven't seen any new blooms. The two flowers that have yet to bloom, as I mentioned above, are beginning to brown.
That reminds me of one article I read as I was looking into this "problem" you're experiencing. Note that I put problem in quotation, because it may very well be that you don't have much of a problem, since your plants look healthy. I don't mean to say that you don't have a problem, but there is a chance that just a little something went wrong, but in the big picture all is possibly good.

See this article: http://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/peacelily

Excerpt:

Flowers

"How do I get my Peace Lily to bloom again?" is the next frequently asked question - A well cared for Spathiphyllum can be expected to produce several flowers a year. When we say several we really do mean several, as in one to three flowers at any one time. More numerous blooms are rare and it's almost impossible to achieve at home no matter how great your care. It's a commonly asked question because most people have brought a Peace Lily from a shop when it's literally surrounded by blooms. They last for several months before eventually going green and then dying off, then when the same number of flowers don't return in the future, people automatically assume they're doing something wrong care wise.

The good news is that if your Peace Lily plant looks healthy, chances are you're treating it exactly as you should. The bad news is that the first crazy but beautiful flush of flowers you had when you took it out of the store is a result of expert nurseries growing them in a special way. Not because they have given perfect light levels, kept the plant slightly pot bound or have watered the plants with rain water (although all three of these things will help at home), but because they have cheated.

Well maybe "cheated" is too harsh, more like, they've done something which normal people at home could never do, they've used gibberellic acid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
P.S. Notice in the above excerpt I copied and I've read elsewhere that the Peace Lily likes to have its roots to be slightly pot bound (root bound). Is that the case with you plants?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
@roadrunner Yes, the plant is root bound. Other than small some brown tips on leaves, the rest of the plant looks fine.

Ask a Question