Passionfruit leaves turning yellow and falling off

Reaction score
Country
United States
The lower leaves are showing what I think is interveinal chlorosis: turning yellow from the inside out, while veins are red/purple. Once they get fully yellow, they fall off.

I thought maybe it was a nutrient deficiency, however, the soil is fairly fresh (about 2 months ago I repotted it to a bigger pot. Didn’t replace existing soil, but added new soil) and it had slow release fertilizer. I also used a bit of liquid fertilizer when I first noticed these symptoms about 3 weeks ago, at half strength or less because I worried about burning since I’ve heard this species tends to not need as much nutrients in the soil, but either way I don’t think it helped. It is still putting out new growth though.

More info:

Species: passiflora incarnata
Zone: 9B.
Gets about 5-6 hours of direct light.

Water and soil:
I water when the soil feels dry in the top two inches which is usually every few days. It’s in a pot with drainage holes and well-draining soil. Soil is a mix of Fox Farm’s Happy Frog and Ocean Forest Soil with some extra perlite in it.

Pests:
It gets some spider mites, but I wipe them off so it never gets out of hand, and it’s mainly the upper leaves that get them, while only the bottom leaves are yellowing. Also I let gulf fritillary caterpillars eat it before I move them to a bigger plant but the only damage they do is holes in the leaves.

Attachments

• 88D38AD1-6A51-4CAD-9BF9-6AC17AC4D97E.jpeg
    88D38AD1-6A51-4CAD-9BF9-6AC17AC4D97E.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 9
  • D01314FC-3755-4124-AF84-6F56346EB6B7.jpeg
    D01314FC-3755-4124-AF84-6F56346EB6B7.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Ask a Question