Painting planters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I plan to buy some clay planters this spring and paint them with different designs to add some color to my back deck. Does anyone have any suggestions on paint I should use that will not contain any chemicals my plants could absorb and make us sick?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not sure about whether it's safe or not, but I use spray paint (the kind that comes in a can) - I'm using them on pots for flowers and they don't seem to have any adverse effect on the plants. I like it because they have some that are textured, so it looks like stone.

I've experimented with getting creative - I paint them a base color, then tape off some areas and spray over that. Where the tape is it leaves the first color, so you now have two or three colors with different shapes.

Post some pictures if you get around to painting your pots - we'd love to see them and get some inspiration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I generally use non toxic acrylic paint for flower pots. I don't grow anything I eat in them, but they're fine for flowers/decorative plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was also thinking of getting some plates and other ceramic objects from the thrift store and breaking them so that I could do some mosaic work on some of my planters. I have never done mosaic art before, but think it would be a fun project to try one of these days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mosaics are tons of fun! I like using colored glass to create stained glass-like images and whatnot around the pots. Generally you can take things like those glass pebbles used for fish tanks as 'gems' for accenting around the rim of the pot or as center pieces for things like flowers, ect. You can also make mosiac stepping stones for your garden as well.

Ask a Question