How ghetto is this - planters out of old tires?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a stack of hour old tires - three regular sized and one very large, like a semi-truck tire. I was going to take them to the recycling place but a friend suggested turning them into planters. At first I thought that would look rather silly - but I did an image search and there's tons of cute and really creative, elegant even, ideas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Unless it fits in with your other landscape, maybe not. I toyed around with lots of different ideas but when I took into consideration how I might get tired of them quickly, I figured it was easier not to go ahead than to act and then later disassemble and dispose of.

pinterest has lots of fun looking ideas but many of them impractical.
IMHO only,, certainly I'm no landscape expert.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of old tire planters. Usually, they're very kitchy and cheap. On the other hand, I know that many people love them. They don't look that bad when they're painted in bright colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well my yard is, umm, eclectic. LOL.

But you have a good point! I don't want anything cutesy, for sure. Some people down the road from me have a couple of old toilets turned into planters. Cute at first glance, but certainly not my style. Still pondering this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of old tire planters. Usually, they're very kitchy and cheap. On the other hand, I know that many people love them. They don't look that bad when they're painted in bright colors.

OK you guys are doing a great job of talking me out of this idea!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
You liked them a whole lot about 18 monthu thought they were "pretty" and "cheerful." What changed your mind between now and then?

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/pretty-planter-made-from-old-tires.1098/add-reply

Claudine really tries hard to be positive. She has no place outside yet is active in encouraging others to go with their passion.

Iif you took the time to look up that thread, you already knew people were trying to be gentle with their criticism of your question. Even I held back out of respect for your feelings. Using old tires may seem a good way to reuse, but it is really better to take them to the local recycling facility and be done with it. People think they are clever incorporating these items into their landscape. Yes, ghetto, cheap, and totally gauche!

When the rubber hits the road....

And that is where it belongs.

Apologies from get go, but my true assessment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have too many empty pots waiting to welcome plants and so old tyres will not feature in my garden. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You liked them a whole lot about 18 months ago. You thought they were "pretty" and "cheerful." What changed your mind between now and then?

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/pretty-planter-made-from-old-tires.1098/add-reply
Like I said, in my opinion they don't look that bad if they're painted in bright colors. Bright colors always look cheerful;) In general, I think that it's a very creative idea to turn an old tire into a planter.
But I'd never, absolutely never, put it in my garden. Same goes for old toilets, all kinds of statues and garden gnomes. Sure, some of them can be pretty, funny and cute, but I also find them tacky.

Thank you, CanadianLori!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Back in the seventies they looked good in front of the gas station I worked at. Would I ever use them in my garden landscape?
Never happen...... Gotta draw a line at creativeness somewhere. :eek:

Reaction score
Why don't you try it and see if you like it? I think life is so short, so one should really try new things from time to time ;) I personally dislike the idea of tire planters, but sometimes they look nice, depending on the kind of garden you have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw them and I like them, on other people's lawn that is! I have thought about it, spray paint them and make them good looking enough to plant flowers in, but they would make my property more ghetto looking, since around my neighborhood already looking ghetto :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You guys have helped me make up my mind! Thank you for bringing me to my senses. :) I agree they can look charming and cute if done right, but I've decided my yard is not the place for tire planters. Off to the recycling place they will go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
You guys have helped me make up my mind! Thank you for bringing me to my senses. :) I agree they can look charming and cute if done right, but I've decided my yard is not the place for tire planters. Off to the recycling place they will go.

And they will be ground up and used in roads and other wonderful apps of the first of the 3 r's in recycling.

I thank you!

Ask a Question