Vegetables in fabric planters. What do you use?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

In addition to planting some nice hanging baskets this year, I'm going to try doing some vegetables as well. Just getting started gardening and I'm having a lot of fun so far - but I want to make sure I'm doing things right!

I saw these fabric planters for sale at the local hardware store and thought I'd try them. Has anyone had good luck with them? If so, how big did you buy them? Looks like they come in 1 gallon, 2 gallon, 5 gallon, all the way up to 30 gallon.

I want to try the following plants this year: herb garden (cilantro, basil, oregano, etc), onions, tomatoes, cucumber, maybe some eggplant, green peppers. Would you say there's a good size out of the above to try with these vegetables?

I suppose it would be a lot easier just to dig up the backyard, but I spent so much time trying to get my lawn to look nice that it'd be a bit of a shame.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For the herbs, cucs I would go with the 2 gallon. For tomatoes, peppers and eggplant 5 gallon. I don't know how onions grow in bags as they have a close growth habit and a shallower less extensive root system. You could probably grow 3 or 4 onions in a 1 gallon size.

Ask a Question