Onions from Seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Meadowlark overwinters his onions with great results and I'm sure others do too. He is in Texas. I'm in Tennessee. Two different climates. I didn't have much luck overwintering. I have better luck starting mine in seed trays in mid Jan and then transplant them out. Yes some do die along the way. I've sown Texas Grano and Red Grano. I have not sown Texas Supersweets so have no experience with that exact variety. Can't imagine its much different since they are short day onions.

You'll just have to pick something and figure out what works for you. There is no "complete information" on what to do. Everyone does things a little different and trial and error is the best experience. Too late to plant 10-15-23 so why not try something else? Sow some seed already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Meadowlark overwinters his onions with great results and I'm sure others do too. He is in Texas. I'm in Tennessee. Two different climates. I didn't have much luck overwintering. I have better luck starting mine in seed trays in mid Jan and then transplant them out. Yes some do die along the way. I've sown Texas Grano and Red Grano. I have not sown Texas Supersweets so have no experience with that exact variety. Can't imagine its much different since they are short day onions.

You'll just have to pick something and figure out what works for you. There is no "complete information" on what to do. Everyone does things a little different and trial and error is the best experience. Too late to plant 10-15-23 so why not try something else? Sow some seed already.
I didn't know Meadowlark over wintered his onions. Never heard him say. I just assumed he planted in spring.
Just get even more confusing.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I didn't know Meadowlark over wintered his onions. Never heard him say. I just assumed he planted in spring.
Just get even more confusing.
I sent you multiple private e-mails stating I plant 10-15 and harvest 5-15.

Further, I stated the same in this thread.
Direct seed 10-15 and harvest about 5-15
You asked if I overwintered, I replied

The time between Oct. 15 and May 15 is generally believed to include winter :giggle:
How can you say "never heard him say"?

What part of Oct. 15 to May 15 do you fail to understand?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

Guess I forgot. Lot of information to take in.🫢

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

After taking time to look over the artical you sent me yesterday I found it to be very helpful.
I know your direct planting your seed in ground 10/15 based on 4 wks. before your 1st average frost date, assuming your frost date is around 11/15.
My average first frost date is 10/15. I would direct plant my seeds 9/15 which would be 4 wks before first frost date. It seems to make sense to me. I don't give up very easy, I will figure this out.
Gardening is not just about dropping a seed in the ground watching it grow. I have found out seed type, variety, germination temp., timing, soil composition, fertilizer, climate growing zones plays a big part of the end results.
Gardening is not easy especially just starting out even though I'm in my 2nd year growing onions.
I appreciate the feedback from the forum, but sometimes I over think a lot of things.

Ask a Question