Drip irrigation question Re: onions and garlic

Reaction score
Country
United States
So in my garden I have a row of garlic then tomatoes, then onions, then peppers with basil and oregano placed in between those and then zucchini, cucumbers and watermelons in another section and corn in another. I just set up a drip irrigation in the garden but I'm trying to figure out the best way to water the onions and garlic. I ran 1/2" water supply tubing up and down each row and did individual 1/4" tubing with emitters for each plant. Except for the onions and garlic, these are planted much closer together then the other plants and like 50-55 in a row and that would be a huge number of emitters and being that close together I'm afraid even .5 gph emitter for each one would drown them all because of overlap.

So question, best ways irrigate onions and garlic? I don't know if doing just a few of the micro spray emitters of some sort (so many different kinds not sure what to use, ie: 180 degree fan, 360 bubbler, 360 micro spray, 90 degree micro spray, etc) or can you cut the 1/2" water supply tubing connect a drip tape section and run it down the garlic row and at the end continue with 1/2" water supply tubing and then when it gets to the onions do the same thing and continue with the 1/2" water supply tubing for the rest of the garden? or will the drip tape take too much of the water pressure away so that the emitters and other section of drip tape won't work? I've never delt with drip tape before.

Any ideas or information would be great. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Have you considered using a micro-spray emitter instead? That way, you can cover a wider area without worrying about overlap. Another option could be to try using drip tape for the onions and garlic rows. It's pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it. You can start with a small section and see how it goes. Good luck with your garden!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are on a slight slope, a soaker or drip tape, the water can run off and waste. If you are on level ground then I would use just plant soaker hoses because they are cheap. For a slope and a little more investment like veg said, use a micro-spray emitter instead soakers for slopes.

Ask a Question