Drip irrigation help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How can you tell if you have watered enough with the drip irrigation system? I don't want to over or under water but I'm not sure how to tell when the plants have had enough? Any tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How can you tell if you have watered enough with the drip irrigation system? I don't want to over or under water but I'm not sure how to tell when the plants have had enough? Any tips?
When I was running drip irrigation in my big garden I used 1/2 gallon per hour emitters. I would water for about 3-4 hours. After this amount of time the soil was saturated out to a distance of about a 1 foot radius of the plant. It is impossible to say just how long a time is appropriate for your soil as all soils are different but if the soil is saturated that is usually enough. Depending on the weather I would normally water about every 10 days. You can tell when a plant needs water if it is a little wilted in the AM hours. You cannot water a plant too much at once but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often. Just stick you finger into the soil about 2-3 inches deep and if the soil is DRY, not slightly damp, it is time to water again. But as I said earlier, if the plant is a little wilted in the morning hours it is time to water again.

Last edited:

Ask a Question