ADVICE SOUGHT ON A DRIP IRRIGATION SYSTEM FOR A HEDGE

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm to plant a 300 foot long hedge this spring on the roadside of my property. I'm on one of BC's southern gulf islands and we have summer droughts so I am hoping for advice on a drip irrigation system. I've carried out some initial exploration of the systems and have thoughts on the design. The length of the hedge will be around 80 metres/250 feet and there's a slope from one end to the other of around 5m/15 feet. It's a simple, linear system with the feeder line about 2/3's of the way up from the bottom end. I've attached a shot of where the hedge will go. Once the hedge has been planted, the area will remain pretty much undisturbed.

I'm hoping to install a drip line that will last quite a few years. My thoughts were subsurface emitter tubing, Rainbird or equal with copper shield, size possibly 1/2" for around 2 - 3 gallons per hour per 100 feet? I'm not sure if I'll need to put a valve at the T where the main feeder line connects so I can be sure the uphill section can be watered separately. Uphill pressure might mean that leg gets starved. I've also read about air release valves at the end of long lines and wonder what their purpose is and whether I'd need one or more. Although rural, I am on municipal water so will definitely
need a pressure reducing valve.

IMG_20210301_095538460.jpg

Ask a Question