SEEDING IN EARLY SPRING ADVICE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm going to pay an unfortunate price next month to have my lawn leveled / trenches and holes filled in. It will be the beginning of the rainy season in Missouri. Should I go ahead and do it, or wait until fall?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That answer depends on the seaonality of the grass. Personally I seed into the wet season because I am lazy and cheap, but even then I have learned the hard way, by being hard headed of course, that fescue planted in the first quarter dies in the third quarter due to insufficient root development before severe stress of heat and drought upon a cool season grass. Try to allow as much time as possible for root development. Toward that end, the sod used for the superbowl is started 18 months prior to the game, so 6 months of development before the quarter of stress season has to be some kind of minimum. Even then I think overseeding will be a future function.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
France
Our driveway is made from..guessing crushed gravel/calco,fine crushed stone and under is a layer of finer gravel and then under that it i sand. top layer is small Stones...point is it grows grass like you would never believe....yet my grass seeding on fresh soil has been hit and miss:rolleyes:...Has to be warm enough and damp enough to germinate here in Deux Sevres Region...Guess those conditions needed are a general requirement in many Countries.. Here is the drive I am talking about..Been clearing the grass from the drive for days now....see....Living the French Dream as we say here:censored:....(.Temporary washing line... as the wind yesterday was only really good for that...Blue skies and thick coat needed though.)...:).
006.JPG

Ask a Question