configuration and soil management advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 12 x 20 tarped hoop structure which I'm going to convert to use as a greenhouse, at least for a few years.

Recently I had the site leveled and am now planning the configuration of the beds. I am probably going to elevate them so that older, more arthritic members of my family can help plant and harvest more easily.

What configuration has worked well for people? I am leaning toward a large central bed approx. 6' X 16', leaving plenty of room on the sides and one end for seedling benches, tools, etc. Does this seem a good use of the space? Please keep in mind, the sides are curved and thus the useable space is considerably less than the 12 feet.

To bring the bed height to a comfortable level, I am probably going to use ordinary gravel underneath 12" of loam. Does this seem an okay way of going about it? Should I use landscape fabric between the two soils? Probably will build my beds from railroad ties or perhaps someone else has found a lighter, more manageable way to go about it?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am averse with gravel in the garden. When we moved here, the backyard had lots of gravel, stones and rocks that seemed to be leftover from the repairs of the previous owner. What we did was pour soil over those hard objects so it would be easier for us to plant grass. It was okay but when we started planting small trees, the gravel seemed to give the plants a problem. What we did was to unearth those gravel, rocks, and stones so the plant's roots can have freedom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I personally wouldn't use railroad ties. The chemicals to preserve them will leach into you soil and plants. Cedar planks are naturally preserved and aren't terribly expensive if you order direct from a sawmill.

Generally we put the planting beds along the outside edge with a walkway through the middle, but maybe you had a good reason to put one bed in the middle. If it is a hoop, the sides will be lower than the middle and have less headspace There is no right or wrong but works best for you. .

Ask a Question