Garden advice - hedging options (pic attached)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice!

We have a long hedge running along the length of our garden (about 25m) that dies back in the winter months. We are looking for some improved privacy and are interested in hearing your thoughts. I imagine it would be costly to dig all of this up and replace with an evergreen hedge but how about planting another hedge in front of the existing one or interspersing something similar to ivy that would presumably create better coverage? Ideally we're looking for something that is fast growing.

Really appreciate your advice as we're at a bit of a loss!

Attachments

• IMG_3521.jpg
    IMG_3521.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 65
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
..I should add that another option we have considered is to install cheap trellis posts every meter or so, then attach netting ( 1 or 2 feet high using cable ties or similar) then plant ivy to grow up the netting/existing hedge, once established.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whatever you do - don`t consider lleylandii ! Griselinia is a really good hedger and grows quickly, the plain green one is a much stronger grower than the variegated variety. If you interplant with something like Photinia and maybe some Lonicera nitida you would have a good thick double layer that`s fantastic for nesting birds and once clipped, give very good privacy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...As an afterthought, the netting idea could give you more trouble than it`s worth - especially when you need to cut your hedge. It`s a nuisance with clippers and hedge cutters too and can end up looking a bit tatty.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...As an afterthought, the netting idea could give you more trouble than it`s worth - especially when you need to cut your hedge. It`s a nuisance with clippers and hedge cutters too and can end up looking a bit tatty.

That's really helpful, thank you. The netting/fencing pins are going to cost ~£100 for the length needed, so that money is probably better spent on plants. Can you advise how far from the original hedge would you typically plant the second layer? I'm also torn between having the same plant down the length of the garden (to give a uniform look) vs having a few different ones repeated at random similar to the right-side of the garden.

Appreciate you talking me out of the 'nuclear option' that is lleylandii - I did consider it as a quick fix!

Attachments

• Garden.jpg
    Garden.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 66
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh boy - what a fantastic view - you lucky sod! Lleylandii is never a quick fix - plant it and repent at leisure !!
Whether you go for identical plants or break it up with a bit of colour (new red shoots of photinia for example) is just a question of choice. The New Zealand Griselinia is a real star though and would be my first choice. It is really easy to propagate too if ever you need to fill any gaps. I would suggest you buy small plants. Not only do they cost a bit less, but they have a better chance of establishing quickly. They have lovely soft leaves that make hedge cutting a joy.
I think new planting should be at least two feet away from the present hedging - see how the root system is when you start digging.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh boy - what a fantastic view - you lucky sod! Lleylandii is never a quick fix - plant it and repent at leisure !!
Whether you go for identical plants or break it up with a bit of colour (new red shoots of photinia for example) is just a question of choice. The New Zealand Griselinia is a real star though and would be my first choice. It is really easy to propagate too if ever you need to fill any gaps. I would suggest you buy small plants. Not only do they cost a bit less, but they have a better chance of establishing quickly. They have lovely soft leaves that make hedge cutting a joy.
I think new planting should be r at least two feet away from the present hedging - see how the root system is when you start digging.

Yes, very nice up here at summertime but bitterly cold and windy throughout winter!

Both of those recommendations look great - I have seen Photinia out and about and they look striking. Griselinia looks thick and lush. How would this compare to laurel in terms of growth speed? I realise laurel is quite popular so assume there must be a good reason!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don`t know why Laurel is popular - I don`t like it and it is not so compact and soft - the Laurel will get out of hand too easily, and it doesn`t clip as well - rather over rated, for people who have yet to discover Griselinia.

Biased ? Who me ? ;)

Ask a Question