Onions from Seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok, so you do overwinter
I'm assuming you fertilize with nitrogen maybe 3 wks. after planting. Then not fertilize again until spring and every two wks. there after until one month before harvest.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The time between Oct. 15 and May 15 is generally believed to include winter :giggle:

As to fertilizer, I start with a soil that is "No N, P, K required" and apply fish emulsion periodically during the growing period. That and water is all I need to grow large onions as shown in my avatar. If you use artificial fertilizers for your nitrogen, my experience is that you will also get many bolting onions.

fish emulsion_.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The time between Oct. 15 and May 15 is generally believed to include winter :giggle:

As to fertilizer, I start with a soil that is "No N, P, K required" and apply fish emulsion periodically during the growing period. That and water is all I need to grow large onions as shown in my avatar. If you use artificial fertilizers for your nitrogen, my experience is that you will also get many bolting onions.

View attachment 101623

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240213_190202_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240213_190202_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I may not need this depending on my soil NPK.
This is closest thing I can find compared to yours. Both are NPK 5-1-1. Yours is fish fertilizer.
This one is fish emulsion.
Not sure what difference is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
How long are your onions in ground? I thought you had to overwinter onions to get large onions cause summer season not long enough.
I don't remember exact dates on this one.

Seed them indoors sometime in February.
Plant them out in late March to mid April ish.
Harvest them when the tops fall over and start to yellow so I think that tends to be August.

Note my location is West Michigan. Last frost is typically May 15, first frost is usually October 15, seasonal average snowfall is 80 inches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
OK, trial set that I will pick apart and plant were seeded about a week ago and I have the first few green starts breaking the soil surface now. These were sown with 2023 seeds. These are all Yellow Sweet Spanish

Today I seeded the "traditional 4 pack" plastic flat with my multi-sown trial set. These were sown with new seeds for the 2024 season. 3/4 of them are Yellow Sweet Spanish and 1/4 of them are Ruby Red.

So yeah, a week separated the planting times, and different seeds. I'll call it a wash as my trial is really a test of which system works better for me, and not a test of highest yield and bestest way to to grow an onion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Does anyone know what a 1015 onion is.
Can't find anyone that can explain 1015 onion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, what is the Y on the end of the number stand for?
Don't know. Yellow maybe? Breeders usually number or 'lot' things such as fruit tree growers. After they like the result they give the product a name instead of numbers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had to google it.
1015 is ideal planting date.
Y is for yellow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country