One random bee

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ll be outside on my little front patio garden and there’s always ONE random bee that comes by and hovers around everything: my plants, my tools and even me. Sometimes I’ll come to the screen door and it’s hovering around the door for quite a while. I’m assuming it’s a “scout” looking for pollen but it’s so strange; especially when it hangs around the screen door (it does this a lot). Anyone with bee knowledge out there ? Not a problem or concern just wondering :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a beekeeper I have been called out to all sorts from bumble bees to masonry bees. "Hovering" also makes me wonder about hoverflies, which look a lot like bees. I don't know about the US, but in the UK we have a number of bumble and solitary bees, and there are quite a few things that imitate bees in appearance, it is good if things think you might sting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't think I get scouts any more, because my yard is always in bloom and has been for years, except when it freezes, so it's always on the radar of all pollinators.

BTW, we also have things that look like bees, esp. the hoverflies. We even have a moth that imitates the hummingbird.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a red Mexican salvia under our kitchen window that a humming bird moth visited. It looked very similar to that, but it may just be convergent evolution.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a beekeeper I have been called out to all sorts from bumble bees to masonry bees. "Hovering" also makes me wonder about hoverflies, which look a lot like bees. I don't know about the US, but in the UK we have a number of bumble and solitary bees, and there are quite a few things that imitate bees in appearance, it is good if things think you might sting.
Interesting. It’s most definitely a bee (or bees ; I’m sure there are different ones) because one day I was out side and it was buzzing around and I was just ignoring it , thought it went away then it ended up right near my ear! It startled me so I swatted it and it went to the floor. I felt so bad ☹️ it was definitely a bee. I watched him for a while and eventually he took off 🙏🏼 I guess u just stunned him. The part that is interesting is when it hangs around the screen door.

Ask a Question