Okra as a hedge?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We're planning on taking out our current hedge of overgrown autumn olive and replacing it with rose of Sharon. We have a few saplings that have popped up around the mature plants we already have and will transplant. But not enough to do the entire hedge.

It's come to my attention that okra is a relative of Sharon and should enjoy the full sun of our hedgerow.
I realize that the okra will die off over winter and we'll have to reseed in the spring, but we don't know how likely the okra is to reseed itself.

Thoughts?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
In your planting zone, the window for Okra is somewhat short. It requires hot temps, i.e. nighttime temps above 70 deg.

It is very easy to save the seed...just let a few pods mature and save them for next year. It isn't likely to reseed itself, however, as only a few scattered plants will result.

The blooms do remind of the Rose of Sharon but they don't last long as the fruit quickly replaces them. For a short time, I think it would make a magnificent hedge.

okra 2.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No kidding on the blooms, we were seldom able to see them and even watched one open and close in a couple hours or less.

We had 4 plants last year and they produced enough for our needs, even so, I planted about 20 this year in the garden. Out by the street gets much more sun and we like the shade on the front of the house.

The okra and Sharon are much easier to maintain than the autumn olive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We're planning on taking out our current hedge of overgrown autumn olive and replacing it with rose of Sharon. We have a few saplings that have popped up around the mature plants we already have and will transplant. But not enough to do the entire hedge.

It's come to my attention that okra is a relative of Sharon and should enjoy the full sun of our hedgerow.
I realize that the okra will die off over winter and we'll have to reseed in the spring, but we don't know how likely the okra is to reseed itself.

Thoughts?
Uhh neither? Neither is evergreen. All hedges must be evergreen or the universe will revert string theory per the Steven dude.

Ask a Question