Not Princess Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought some seeds that were advertised as Paulownia tomentosa (Princess Tree) but are obviously not. The seeds did look like the real thing, but this is what has grown. I cannot determine what it is - possibly pin oak? There were no large seeds in the commercial soil I used for potting though that I know of. Any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 257
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Clay G. :) They do look similar to a pin oak but I can't be sure. Could you provide us with a close up of a leaf or two please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
We love our Paulownia tomentosa it was a twig 2 years ago....

Paulownia tomentosa (Princess Tree).jpg

We may have to trim it a little soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

I'm not entirely certain, but the leaves do resemble some forms of Sunset Musk-mallow (Abelmoschus manihot), also known as Aibika.
This member of the Mallow Family (Malvaceae) is native to southern and southeastern Asia, China, Philippines, Malesia, New Guinea, and Queensland, but is also widely grown as a leaf-vegetable, starch source, and ornamental plant.
The challenge here is that Ablemoschus manihot has amazing foliar diversity. There are many strains of this plant, many with remarkably different-looking leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
Clay G Yours looks more like a Papaya seedling...

Attachments

• papaya-seedling.jpg
    papaya-seedling.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Country
United States
Clay G Yours looks more like a Papaya seedling...
That's an idea, but the leaves of Papaya (Carica papaya) usually have larger, coarser secondary lobes. Of course there may be variation in that species as well.
Here is a photo of another related Musk-mallow species, Abelmoschus moschatus, that shows somewhat similar leaves to the OP.
a08dd263cc0b72130820c6f6f329af0919591391

The leaf variation in Abelmoschus is confusingly complex. You have to look at many plants to see how wide the variation is.
Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) is another close relative that should be considered.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not 100% certain though, when leaves are as variable as those of Abelmoschus, there is always the possibility of a doppelganger.

Ask a Question