Not looking good.....

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Last night at 9:00 our power was restored (30 hours after outage). Had NO trees, limbs OR debris down on our property (the wall of angels surrounding us protected us, no doubt)......which is amazing considering that MOST of the neighborhood looks like a bomb went off in it. Did have 14 panels blown out of the greenhouse......most have been recovered and reinstalled. SOOOOO much devastation in the path's way......SOOOOOOO many lives affected.
you are indeed some very fortunate people-from what's been shown on the news there are some areas that really took an extreme hit. can't imagine riding that one out and the aftermath, which is hard to even look at!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Harbor Freight's 10X12 greenhouse......hurricane (Michael) tested.......it's got EVERYTHING to do with anchoring the base to the ground and the frame to the base.......
20181012_080415.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
https://apnews.com/3cdbb4c6702f49eeae0d5fae6b917592
The devastation inflicted by Hurricane Michael came into focus Thursday

Media pics and a few vids, as always the media over hypes everything. The clean up has already started, in 6 months it will start to look back to normal. Year perhaps 2 the only noticeable will be a few lots people did not rebuild or sell the lot.

Shocking devastation! The houses look so filmsy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just came back from Bonifay. It's pretty bad. Most of the houses have damage and nearly all have trees down. Power is still out to most of the town. I saw literally hundreds of trees down on I-10 on the way. My friends Grandma's house is pretty rough. 4 trees on the house, 8 down in property. I was able to get three cleaned up. Pretty amazing to see so many trees rooted up. Even saw a few oaks with about a 15 foot root ball ripped out!
IMG_20181012_093854217.jpg
IMG_20181012_093850438_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181012_093838232_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181012_093803920_HDR.jpg

The good news is people pull together. Since power is out, the local grocer told the church to come get the best and start grilling cause it's going to spoil. So the church has been having a two day cookout feeding the entire town!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just came back from Bonifay. It's pretty bad. Most of the houses have damage and nearly all have trees down. Power is still out to most of the town. I saw literally hundreds of trees down on I-10 on the way. My friends Grandma's house is pretty rough. 4 trees on the house, 8 down in property. I was able to get three cleaned up. Pretty amazing to see so many trees rooted up. Even saw a few oaks with about a 15 foot root ball ripped out!View attachment 46219 View attachment 46220 View attachment 46221 View attachment 46222

The good news is people pull together. Since power is out, the local grocer told the church to come get the best and start grilling cause it's going to spoil. So the church has been having a two day cookout feeding the entire town!
That is nice to hear. Its uplifting at a terrible time.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just came back from Bonifay. It's pretty bad. Most of the houses have damage and nearly all have trees down. Power is still out to most of the town. I saw literally hundreds of trees down on I-10 on the way. My friends Grandma's house is pretty rough. 4 trees on the house, 8 down in property. I was able to get three cleaned up. Pretty amazing to see so many trees rooted up. Even saw a few oaks with about a 15 foot root ball ripped out!View attachment 46219 View attachment 46220 View attachment 46221 View attachment 46222

Enough to make you cry! Such beautiful trees and such lovely houses. Here in the UK, they always ask you if you have trees over 25m near the property, I can see why now. Weather can be so cruel!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
There are building codes in place, BUT some are much older then the code and some looking to cut corners and roll the dice to save some money.

Same here with the Grenfell fire. An insulation board man from Celotex was a government adviser and those celotex insulation boards didn't stand a chance and they burst into flame during the fire. Someone has got to be imprisoned.

Ask a Question