Not looking good.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Mother nature is determined I will not have a carrot crop this fall!

Only a gardener would be worried abut lesser things like carrots with a storm heading his/her way! :)

Joking aside, take care everyone and I hope that 'Michael' leaves you without too much damage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Oh, dear! Keep safe first. You never know.
Well @alp there is this history here where these storms get into the gulf and tear off a chunk of beach and so forth and over years the underwater pictures show it.
5ba1a38b8b59f60fca0d144e3151cde2.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, dear! That weekend away does look like a wash out and clean out now. Hurricanes are worrying phenomena. I remember how my dad put bricks and boards on roof tops in the rain and wind in preparation for their coming. We call them Typhoon which sounds literally BIG WIND!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@alp So where were you in the Pacific? They are now reporting this storm as catagory 4 which is sustained winds of 130mph. I have a friend who is riding out the storm very near the beach east of panama city. I think he may be one of those who says next time I will leave.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In Hong Kong and I left nearly 30 years ago. We always had typhoons and they invariably started from the Philippines and beyond.

Can't blame your friend. When you leave your home, you leave your comfort zone and then there is looting. Human nature can be very depraved or we won't have the word "crime"! And don't expect the police to come to your rescue. Everything can be excused using the words austerity cuts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have several idiots...er, friends, who have stayed. I don't care about looters or anything else, your stuff isn't worth your life or risking your family. Thousands of folks went to sleep the night before Katrina hit thinking that all that bad stuff wouldn't happen to them. Many did not get another night to regret that. Apathy is a killer more dangerous than storm surge or wind.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have several idiots...er, friends, who have stayed. I don't care about looters or anything else, your stuff isn't worth your life or risking your family. Thousands of folks went to sleep the night before Katrina hit thinking that all that bad stuff wouldn't happen to them. Many did not get another night to regret that. Apathy is a killer more dangerous than storm surge or wind.

Yes, agree. Katrina was really a terrible storm. The levee broke and all hell broke loose. Not just the wind but the flood and the over-spilling sewage, @vette-kid, think about your precious 2 year old and move higher or away from the horror zone! Guess you're very young .. Even I want to move at the grand old age of the wrong side of 60!

See we saw it nearly every year except last. Always floods in Somerset .. furniture stewed in sewage water and what not!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, agree. Katrina was really a terrible storm. The levee broke and all hell broke loose. Not just the wind but the flood and the over-spilling sewage, @vette-kid, think about your precious 2 year old and move higher or away from the horror zone! Guess you're very young .. Even I want to move at the grand old age of the wrong side of 60!

See we saw it nearly every year except last. Always floods in Somerset .. furniture stewed in sewage water and what not!

We have been here ten years. This is the first time we have evacuated. But we have had a plan to do so EVERY time. That's the beauty with these storms, we get time to get out of the way. Something you don't get with mid Western tornadoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Totally agree that looters aren't worth jeopardizing your life for in any circumstance. But in my opinion they are utter low lifes...oportunists taking advantage when people's lives are being shattered. On the news recently reporting on the awful Indonesian tragedy showed people hardly being able to breathe because of the stench of undiscovered decomposing bodies...and then:mad:.. two men running from wrecked buildings ,laughing and dragging a shopping trolley full of various items....and , this next one beggars belief in my opinion, then showed a clip on two people riding away on scooter/ moped and the pillion passenger was holding a huge flat screen television.....where were they planning to store it ??and secondly there is absolutely no power in the whole area, probably selling in on :devil::devil:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's the beauty with these storms, we get time to get out of the way. Something you don't get with mid Western tornadoes.
:D

:LOL:The lesser evil! Yes! That's OK. Let's put it this way, everything is written in the star! That's what I tell my son when he bugs me no end about escaping the ops!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/othe...gory-4-hurricane/ar-BBOb1pI?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Category 4 Hurricane Michael roars nearer to Florida coast

Michael's leading edge careened onto northwest Florida's white-sand beaches as a still-growing Category 4 hurricane Wednesday, lashing the coast with tropical storm-force winds and rain and pushing a storm surge that could cause catastrophic damage well inland once it makes landfall.

this one wants to leave a mark. hope if you are in the path you are ready.

Ask a Question