Newly Germinated Seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I planted some new seeds over the weekend. I added some cornmeal to the soil. I put it outside instead of leaving it in the garage. I checked them this evening, and they have mold in them.
image.jpg

image.jpg

The the second one was done yesterday, and it looked ok so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted some new seeds over the weekend. I added some cornmeal to the soil. I put it outside instead of leaving it in the garage. I checked them this evening, and they have mold in them.View attachment 8565

View attachment 8566

The the second one was done yesterday, and it looked ok so far.
If the cornmeal was horticultural or whole ground or stone ground and not enriched then what you see is a beneficial fungus and your seedlings will be great

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Cool, I did not know that.I was afraid it was bad. I've already removed the cover and was planing to throw them away tomorrow. BTW, it was stone ground.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cool, I did not know that.I was afraid it was bad. I've already removed the cover and was planing to throw them away tomorrow. BTW, it was stone ground.
What you are growing is called tricoderma fungi, It attacks and eats harmful fungi like damping off fungi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
On established roses that are susceptible to black spot, in the early spring sprinkle it fairly heavy around the base and out to the drip line of the bush. Then you start a spray regimine of cornmeal tea. Just put a cup of cornmeal into an old sock and soak it for a day or two and spray the foliage every week or so. If you are troubled with thrips mix in crushed garlic with the cornmeal

Thanks for the information Chuck. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
No, I have not started fertilizing them. Should i transfer them to the ground and fertilize them? Do you have any tips on what to do before putting them on the ground?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, I have not started fertilizing them. Should i transfer them to the ground and fertilize them? Do you have any tips on what to do before putting them on the ground?
What I do before setting out transplants is to get the soil where they will be planted as fertile as possible. I dig up that area and add fertilizer and any other amendments that I think I might need. I also water the area thoroughly and plant my transplants wet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Healthy looking plants. They can go into the ground or large container any time you're ready Are you fertilizing?

Your reply is interesting Chuck, mine are four times the size of Ferice's when planted in their final positions. Any smaller and they would be either battered by the weather or eaten by slugs and snails.

Ask a Question