Clay Soil Drainage Issue With Newly Planted Canary Island Pine

Reaction score
Country
United States
We planted a Canary Island Pine 4 weeks ago and are having a water drainage issue (photos of tree at end of post). I am new to gardening and here are the details.

Tree: Canary Island Pine. Height about 15’ when planted. Planted on May 25th 2016 (4 weeks ago).

Issue or Concern: Water is not draining. Background: The hole for the tree was 5-6’ wide by 3’ deep and contained mostly clay. The clay and excess tree box soil was mixed and then filled in the hole around the tree ball.

Issue Suspicion: The clay is absorbing or holding the water. And/or the hole’s clay walls are “pooling” the water.

Observation #1: As most agree, the tree looks healthy. Water drainage still a concern however.

Observation #2: To check drainage or hole water level, I use a deep drip tree stake (like a pvc pipe with holes) and insert a “dip” stick. The stick shows a water level but it drains very slowly, about 2-3” a day. It’s been 7 days since we’ve watered last and there’s still 8 inches of standing water measuring.

Observation #2: The top of the soil just turned clay cracked dry, but an inch or two underneath it is still somewhat moist (dark in color moist). Informational Note: Today it is 77 degrees today and it will be a 100 in four days with continual hot weather.

Suggested Solutions: The following solutions have been made.

Solution #1: Wait until the water goes all the way down, wait a few days, and then water again. Don't do anything with the soil. Note: With the understanding that newly planted trees need to be more often, doing this solution may mean watering it every 12 days.

Solution #2: To improve drainage, replace soil without hurting the roots with Kellogg’s Amend and Gypsum. There was a 1 to at most 2 foot distance between the tree ball and hole wall. Not sure how much the tree roots have grown into that space in 4 weeks.

Solution #3: Not for necessarily for the purpose of replacing the soil, but to dig down on outside of hole to the bottom clay, break up clay bottom with metal post for better drainage, add a little gysum, fill hole back up.

Solution #4: Please know that this is my suggestion and that I’m new to gardening. Though I am willing to do what's best for the tree, is It possible to just put gypsum on top of the soil?

Thanks

home-design.jpg

home-design.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First of all when planting a tree the absolute first thing you do is dig the hole and fill it with water. If the water doesn't drain away completely within 24 hours find another place to plant the tree. No matter what you add to the hole, whether it be gypsum or peat moss, or sand or anything else, the fact remains is that you have basically a bowl that holds water. The bigger the hole the more water is trapped. Without going to enormous expense there isn't much you can do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
With the slope you have ,you could dig a short trench from the edge of the hole to were it falls off . Drop in a pipe full of gravel too make a slow drain

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank Chuck and DrCase, you nailed it on the head. A bowl that holds water.

I will plan to put a pipe with gravel, maybe two or three. I'll also update but thanks again.

Ask a Question