Rain for 3 days in a row.. will it kill my newly planted trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I planted a 3 feet hinoki cypress and a dwarf Japanese cedar today. When I was planting, there was no rain so I watered it very deeply. The whole ground was wet, very soft, and slightly muddy from the water. Then hours later it started to rain a lot! And I wasn't sure if it gonna rain because the forecast said 50% chance rain. I'm worried that this is just too much water for them. And It is supposed to be heavy rain tomorrow as well... AND Monday theres a chance of rain. So is this just too much water to the point where the tree roots can rot? There's not gonna be any sun until Tuesday in my area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just worried cuz the soil will be soggy for such a long time, the trees won't be able to take it and the roots will rot. Luckily though, I didn't water any other plants that day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you tested your holes before planting and they had good drainage you will have nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you tested your holes before planting and they had good drainage you will have nothing to worry about.
Yes the soil has very good drainage and I also added in a lot of compost as well. But still, I watered with the hose running for 30 min and the ground was very muddy and soft after that. Then it rained. So thats like double watering in one day..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes the soil has very good drainage and I also added in a lot of compost as well. But still, I watered with the hose running for 30 min and the ground was very muddy and soft after that. Then it rained. So thats like double watering in one day..
Don't worry about it. There is nothing you can do anyway. And besides it takes a lot longer than 3 or 4 days to kill a plant with water. Just look at where it has flooded.. They will have standing water sometimes for weeks and those plants usually survive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Don't worry about it. There is nothing you can do anyway
That is true. Unless I temporarily mulch it extra heavily around the tree so no more rain can enter the soil but I think I'll just leave it be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wouldn't mulch have the opposite effect and just keep the soil damp?

Interesting question! I think you're onto something there...the soil wouldn't evaporate and dry out as quickly if heavily mulched. That is after all why many of us mulch perennials and vegetables; to retain moisture in the soil.

On the other hand...the same amount of water would hit the ground no matter what but perhaps a heavy layer of mulch would prevent it from penetrating as deeply.

Moot point in either case I guess, as long as one has a hose and water source you can (somewhat) compensate for Mother Nature's droughts or excesses. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Interesting question! I think you're onto something there...the soil wouldn't evaporate and dry out as quickly if heavily mulched. That is after all why many of us mulch perennials and vegetables; to retain moisture in the soil.

On the other hand...the same amount of water would hit the ground no matter what but perhaps a heavy layer of mulch would prevent it from penetrating as deeply.

Moot point in either case I guess, as long as one has a hose and water source you can (somewhat) compensate for Mother Nature's droughts or excesses. :)
Alright well then I guess I'm going to take off all the mulch and put it to the side once it gets sunny here. The soil around the newly planted trees are just too wet I need them to dry out a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm no tree expert so don't necessarily listen to me! ;)

I think as others have said, as long as your soil is reasonably well-draining I don't think you have much to worry about. Pretty sure it takes more than a few days of saturation to start actually rotting roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've got a Meyer Lemon, and since it's my first tree I've been asking around about this and that. I think it was on this forum that someone told me the tree should be dry 3" from the bottom before watering it again. However the reputable greenhouse where I purchased it clarified this weekend that they water theirs when its SURFACE DRY in the summer, which is significantly more frequent. Apparently with properly drained soil these trees are fairly flexible

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've got a Meyer Lemon, and since it's my first tree I've been asking around about this and that. I think it was on this forum that someone told me the tree should be dry 3" from the bottom before watering it again. However the reputable greenhouse where I purchased it clarified this weekend that they water theirs when its SURFACE DRY in the summer, which is significantly more frequent. Apparently with properly drained soil these trees are fairly flexible
Actually it is about 3" from the top, but even that is not a law. You water when the tree needs it, not by some calendar date. If the tree is wilted in the early AM it needs water. If it wilts in the hot afternoon it doesn't. When you water, saturate the entire container or if in the ground even more so. And then don't water again until the tree needs it, not what you think the tree needs. More plants are killed by watering too often than by any other means. You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often.

Ask a Question