Newly Germinated Seeds

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Better starting again, tbh.
No matter how much extra work you put in, it'll always be a compromise.
Get them done today, and in two weeks they'll have, more-or-less caught up.
It sounds ruthless, but it is the best way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Ok, I will get them in new pots soon. Since they've been getting morning sun for a week now, is it about the right time to let them get a full day of sunshine now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, I will get them in new pots soon. Since they've been getting morning sun for a week now, is it about the right time to let them get a full day of sunshine now?
They will probably be ok if they have any true leaves. When these plants get big enough to plant in the ground they will have to be planted deep because they will be leggy. What you should also do now is to plant some more seeds in some more pots. It is warm enough now for them to germinate outside. As Bees said they will catch up and probably be much sturdier plants. That way you can make sure you have some good fall tomato plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Since it seems from your post that you intend to persist with these seedlings, I would recommend Sheal's advice as sound, and hope you have more success than I fear you may have.
I haven't try growing seeds in containers but just planted the seeds straight into the ground. My house, very strangely situated, doesn't get much sun light in, so that is why I can't plant seeds inside. Plus, since I live in Michigan, our summer is too short for me to go through the process.

I think yours look great though!
Seeds planted in containers don't require to be kept inside.
I use florist pots outside as seed beds for my brassicas, as using my own hot-composted growing medium, with plenty of cornmeal, isolates them from any soil-borne nasties & gives them an ideal start.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Do you cover the seed with cornmeal, mix the cornmeal with the soil, or add soils over the seed and sprinkle cornmeal on top of it.
I have a few more packets that I am going to try out; once I am done with them, I may end up purchasing plants vs seeding them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you cover the seed with cornmeal, mix the cornmeal with the soil, or add soils over the seed and sprinkle cornmeal on top of it.
I have a few more packets that I am going to try out; once I am done with them, I may end up purchasing plants vs seeding them.
The cornmeal Bees is referring to IS NOT the Aunt Jemima type enriched cornmeal that is everywhere. The cornmeal you want that is sold in grocery stores has either Stone Ground or Whole Ground on the package. If it says enriched anywhere on the package it is NOT what you want. The best place to purchase the correct cornmeal is at a real nursery or cattle feed store and is sold as horticultural cornmeal. Cinnamon does almost the same thing as cornmeal but cornmeal works a LOT better and is cheaper. The reason I mentioned cinnamon is that it is quite common and easy to find. When I plant seeds I mix 15%-20% horticultural cornmeal in with the planting medium and then sprinkle some on top. Once you get the hang of seeding you will never even think of buying another plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
image.jpg

image.jpg
I moved each plant to its own container. Should I put some Nature's Care plant food on each one? I have some left over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not yet. wait until they have 2 sets of true leaves and then only lightly. Correct moisture and sunshine is most important now. Don't forget to sprinkle either the cornmeal or cinnamon all around them. They have to be much bigger in order not to be susceptible to damping off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I've not heard of the use of cornmeal or cinnamon when growing tomatoes, do you find it makes a difference? Us Brits are more likely to use just a multi purpose compost bought from a garden centre.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've not heard of the use of cornmeal or cinnamon when growing tomatoes, do you find it makes a difference? Us Brits are more likely to use just a multi purpose compost bought from a garden centre.
Horticultural corn meal and cinnamon are anti-fungal agents. There is a beneficial fungus called Tricoderma that attacks harmful fungi like damping off fungi. Cornmeal is the best and favorite growing medium for Tricoderma which is greatly beneficial not only for damping off but for other harmful fungi like black spot on roses. It will also cure toenail fungus and athletes foot. It has been used for these and other purposes in Mexico and throughout South America for centuries. As for cinnamon, it works but not as well as cornmeal. Something in the chemical make up of cinnamon kills some fungi but I don' know why.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's interesting, thanks Chuck. I think I might use it for my roses, do I just sprinkle it around the base of them?
On established roses that are susceptible to black spot, in the early spring sprinkle it fairly heavy around the base and out to the drip line of the bush. Then you start a spray regimine of cornmeal tea. Just put a cup of cornmeal into an old sock and soak it for a day or two and spray the foliage every week or so. If you are troubled with thrips mix in crushed garlic with the cornmeal

Ask a Question