Newb wanting to get this right (WV)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
hello everyone, I just joined today and am new to gardening. I've really never done it before, only grew pumpkins by accident. Anytime I've tried to grow anything I've failed. But this time I've been doing a lot of reading. I'm wanting to plant cucumbers, tomatos, and pole beans in a small plot outside.

I plan to start the cucumbers and tomatoes indoors. What I'm confused about is transplanting them and it being 40degrees at night still in may just by looking at my extended forecast. So does that mean I should wait until late April to start growing indoors since it seems like WV is going to have a cool spring?? Everywhere I read basically says start planting indoors early March.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum!

Our zones are pretty close and I traditionally put mine out on or around the 3rd week in May. If you look up last frost date for your area, it will narrow down the planting out guidelines.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I put my tomatoes out every year when temps are still dipping in the high 30’s at night and they’re always fine. Sometimes I’ll put them out 2 weeks before the last frost, just to play chicken with the weather man. Tomatoes I usually start indoors about 8 weeks prior to last frost date. I direct sow cukes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I put my tomatoes out every year when temps are still dipping in the high 30’s at night and they’re always fine. Sometimes I’ll put them out 2 weeks before the last frost, just to play chicken with the weather man. Tomatoes I usually start indoors about 8 weeks prior to last frost date. I direct sow cukes.

When do you directly sow your cucumbers and what zone are you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When do you directly sow your cucumbers and what zone are you?
I sow them in at last frost date, May 1st here. I’m zone 8b. I direct sow a lot of other stuff too at that time. It saves me indoor space for tomatoes and I already got 50+ starts to deal with. I couldn’t handle another 50 or 100 plants in the kitchen.

Ask a Question