Newb near Houston, Tx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi,everyone!

My name is Asia and my husband and I just bought a house with a small-ish yard. We're both really excited to start growing edible things and I'll likely be around here to find out what to do. Thanks in advance for all the advice. :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome from a fellow Texan. You picked a perfect spot to start growing edibles--or anything else. Houston has a great climate and good soil, so you can have a year-around garden.
Just remember to start small until you learn how to care for a garden, and then you can expand. The first mistake new gardeners make is to have large plans, and then find out that all that garden is difficult to maintain.
Let us know what you want to grow and we'll do our best to help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's so good to hear! What are really practical edible plants that are easy to grow? By practical I mean something like kale, potatoes, carrots, or berries. I guess there would need to be a decent yield from a few plants too. Am I already in over my head?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! Squash, cucumber and tomatoes are very easy to grow (but take up more room than you'd expect so plan accordingly!) Greens of all sorts too; although they do well in cooler weather - maybe a Houston winter would be fine for greens, broccoli etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Everyone here is so helpful and nice! Thanks so much for the tips. I'll have to pick what to grow according to what my husband will actually eat. Lol. Squash and cucumbers are always popular around my house.

Reaction score
Hi Asia! How exciting! I'm in a similar situation, I'm moving soon to that new house with our tiny garden ;) I'm so excited too, and we are also going to try to grow some nice edibles :) Anyways, I just wanted to welcome you to our forum, hope you like it here and find this forum super useful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Trellum, this forum has been incredibly useful already! Are you posting what edibles you're going to grow? I want to put a lot of thought into it before I commit so I'm taking inspiration from everywhere. :D Thank you for the warm welcome.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This is the right place to learn about gardening. I am happy that I have learned a lot. Now I know more about gardening after joining this forum. You are welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi,everyone!

My name is Asia and my husband and I just bought a house with a small-ish yard. We're both really excited to start growing edible things and I'll likely be around here to find out what to do. Thanks in advance for all the advice. :D
Welcome! My SO and I just bought our first home as well, and the yard is the biggest thing there haha. I decided to utilize the space with planter boxes and started a garden of my own! I look forward to hear how yours comes along!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Welcome! My SO and I just bought our first home as well, and the yard is the biggest thing there haha. I decided to utilize the space with planter boxes and started a garden of my own! I look forward to hear how yours comes along!

Thanks! I was thinking we'd add another fruit tree of some kind (there's a very fruitful lemon tree already here) and then start a planter box or two with easy edibles and see how we do from there. Still trying to figure out what to grow but really excited about it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
If you like bell peppers they are usually easy to grow and require very little space. A couple of plants to start will often provide plenty.

My garden is a few hundred miles north of you and the plants here don't do too much production in hot mid-summer but come on strong late September - until frost. All we don't consume fresh I chop fairly fine and freeze for the wife to put in winter dishes like home made pizza etc.
pizza hoagie bun 4-4-15.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My husband makes pizza every Sunday. Bell peppers are a great idea. Will any of the colors grow well here? I'm partial to the orange and red ones. They really brighten up a dish and go in a variety of foods.

Ask a Question