Newb near Houston, Tx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I can't think of a reason any variety of pepper wouldn't grow there.

I suggest you do a little research on soil temperatures at around a 4 inch depth and plant accordingly for an early garden. Some plants as well as seeds just don't like cold feet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Lol. The cold feet part sounded cute. It gave me a mental image of cartoon plants picking up their roots.

Do you think growing peppers in pots or planter boxes would avoid the soil temperature issue? I was thinking of starting that way before digging up my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I've never tried containers but I believe some gardeners do and If my memory serves me at all some gardeners bring them in the house for the winter.
peppers  10-26-05.jpg
. Containers may give a little head start advantage on soil temperature. From my experience when removing the plants ( California Wonder usually ) in the fall and observing the root system I would think a container of 18-20 inch diameter or more and about that tall would be appropriate.

So I say try a container planting then you'll know what works for you.

To answer your previous ?? about color, I've found some of the bell I plant become red with maturity better than others on the same plant and some varieties may be better at turning red. My wife likes the red too but at my place it's a race for red or let insects have their way. I'm just a country boy gardener and don't know much about those details.

OH, BTW, anyone that likes meat loaf, try some diced bell peppers mixed in for flavor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I love meatloaf. It's one of my favorite comfort foods, with mashed potatoes and gravy. Diced bell pepper would be a great addition. The next time I get around to making meatloaf, that's happening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks! I was thinking we'd add another fruit tree of some kind (there's a very fruitful lemon tree already here) and then start a planter box or two with easy edibles and see how we do from there. Still trying to figure out what to grow but really excited about it!
I didn't want to wait until spring to start my edibles, so I researched what I could grow now in colder weather. I have spinach and kale that are coming along nicely, as well as some herbs (sage, parsley, and cilantro).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I didn't want to wait until spring to start my edibles, so I researched what I could grow now in colder weather. I have spinach and kale that are coming along nicely, as well as some herbs (sage, parsley, and cilantro).

Oh man. Spinach and kale would be perfect right now. I have a ton of lemons waiting to be juiced and I love tossing spinach or kale in olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. What kind of kale are you growing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh man. Spinach and kale would be perfect right now. I have a ton of lemons waiting to be juiced and I love tossing spinach or kale in olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. What kind of kale are you growing?
I am growing dwarf blue curled kale it is called

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Nice! I'm thinking about trying to grow dinosaur kale. It was the first type I was exposed to and it's what I think of every time I say I'm going to get kale. I usually see curly kale when I'm at the store so I wonder if that kind grows better here.

Ask a Question