New Member from Oregon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello to everyone! I am so glad I've found the forums here, and I am delighted to be a new member! I've been very blessed to have recently been able to move into a little home with a yard after many years away from a time when I had a garden of my own to plant and care for. I am in the process of preparing the back and side yards for future raised-bed vegetable gardening, as well as rows of berries--pulling out huge, tangled masses of ivy that had apparently been let out of control for years, removing a rotten deck, taking notes on the movement of sunshine and shade so I can plant wisely, and so on. I've also planted some sweet peppers in an Earth Box planter (guarded with fleece until our night-time temperatures rise a little bit), a number of culinary herbs (in containers for the time being until I get a good idea of where my best in-ground spaces are for them) and flowers. I love scented flowers like carnations and lilacs, and I am hoping to fill my front yard with beautiful colors and fragrances. It's been quite some time since I've had space to plant a garden, so I am up to my ears in questions for fellow gardeners who might be able to help me get everything off to the best start here. I look forward to posting here at the forums, and I wish you all a good day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:)A warm welcome to you @History Detective. I am Oregon born and it is my favorite state, especially the coastal side. From your zone i'd guess you are in the banana belt? There are lots of friendly, helpful gardeners here.
Nice to meet you, Beverly! I love Oregon, too--and I've lived here all my life, moving from here to there with job opportunities. I've lived in Salem, Bend, Klamath Falls, Medford... travelled to the coast and the mountains quite frequently, as well as our big city, Portland... I think it's all quite beautiful, and I've been very happy here.

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum :) I hope you enjoy your stay here and find our forum really useful and helpful :) This is the right place to come when looking for gardening help and inspiration :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Love Oregon. Been there twice to roam the coastline. Have got to get back, keep missing Portland and all the restaurants.
Thank you, Esther Knapicius! There are some really good restaurants in Portland. I love cuisine of all kinds, and I love growing herbs so I can cook up my own dishes, but when I get to head out to a good restaurant it is a real treat for me.

Ask a Question