New Member from Oregon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi there and welcome to the forum :) I hope you enjoy your stay here and find our forum really useful and helpful :) This is the right place to come when looking for gardening help and inspiration :)
Hi, Trellum--and thank you so much for the warm welcome!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
History is fascinating, isn't it? I take an interest in all time periods, but there's a special place in my heart for the 18th Century.

It is. Saw this this morning and thought i'd get a pic for you :)
DSCI0465.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No, just a cistern in the garden at Barrington Court. Wouldn't like to eat any veg watered from it :eek:

Mad enough without lead added to me system :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yikes! I wondered what it might be made of... Lead is frightening, indeed. Still, that is a lovely piece of art! Thank you so much for sharing it!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It is nice :)

Spotted a Roman brick, re used in a church wall a few weeks back

DSCI0285.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is it the red one in the center of the picture, zigs? Thank you so much for posting these lovely pictures! I checked the website that is linked at the bottom of your posts, and I am amazed at the photos of the work samples. There was even one that made me laugh--the dog that ate the earplugs!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's the one, if we could see the rest of it, it would probably have a swirl of finger marks on the top, when they made them they did that as a key for the lime mortar.

The brick to the right is a Tudor one, lots of those in the church, robbed from buildings that had fallen into disrepair.

Glad you like my site, it's not brilliant as I made it myself and i'm not a web designer.

The dog looked like butter wouldn't melt in its mouth, but ear plugs did :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Few pics that I don't think are on my website...

Taking the roof off Dunster Castle.

Lovely view from the top, the flat fields were sea when the castle was built, but we're still rising after the weight of the ice from the ice age went.

Did 3 weeks tuition in Aphrodisias, a Roman City in Turkey.

The city had been buried by later development, you can see the layers of history after it was party excavated, one of the later drainage trenches had been backfilled with tesserae from a mosaic.

Woke up here one morning :D

Me and my crew :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What a wonderful adventure your work must be, zigs! Looks like you have a great crew, too. The person standing to your left reminds me very much of my grandfather. Is it a little scary, though, working with the historic sites? I think I'd be petrified that I would break something very, very old and very, very precious.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Has it's mundane side too, like any job I suppose, but you do get to see some interesting things

This is a Cressett stone, it would have been kept in the church with tallow candles burning in it. It acted as a pilot light for the village, folk who needed a light would have come and got one from it. Saved them the time of making fire each day.

Ask a Question