new member here!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Everyone! I have been searching for a forum to help me on this journey and I think this is it! So a little back story. I get my green thumb from my mom! for as long as I can remember, we had too many houseplants and not enough yard lol I regret not spending more time in the yard working with her instead of just being out there with her :( my mom passed away nov 2011, and i know now that i had so much more to learn from her!! she was well on her way to becoming a Master Gardener through PennState (I think! I will check the details later!) and she had a horticulture degree and was in the middle of a botany something or other... She also was interested in Hydroponics! Well, While I did get her green thumb, my talents sparkle when it comes to house plants, tropical's, water plants, succulent's and cacti! (i make terrariums, fairy gardens and potted water displays and sell them to fund my cat rescue :cat:!!) anyway, I am now living in my mom's house and I have a basement full of gardening stuff, plus a big back yard that has barely been touched since she passed! i just couldn't do it last year :cry: but now I want to bring it back and make it a mix of me and her but i have absolutely NO clue where to begin! there are i think 6 beds sectioned off on the right, a separate bed she had pumpkins, corn, gourds n such in, and then a bunch of rose bushes, honeysuckle and a few other perennials around the fence border. oh and i had a tree cut down and its in the middle of my yard nowo_O:banghead: (i'll be getting to that here shortly!) So I am heading out now to take some pictures, and I have so many questions!! I will try to get them all to the right threads but please bare with me as this is my 1st time using a forum also! TIA! cant wait to get growing!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, @BohoKitten !

Sorry for your loss! I have great admiration for your mum. Don't feel overwhelmed. Just take it one step at a time and make sure you let yourself time to grieve. If you like, you could also do a part time or even full time course on horticulture! Just make sure it is FOR YOU and that you really like it.

Try to write down what YOU want to do and do it bit by bit. You could look at a seed calendar and decide if you want to grow something to eat or something to feast your eyes on.

One step at a time and follow your heart's calling .. Do show us your photos and your ideas and I am sure someone else here will give you tons of useful feedbacks!

Mike Ang

Mike Ang http://www.mikitraffic.com/?gardeingForum
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Equatorial
Country
Singapore
Hi I signed up this forum to find out especially about mostquito busting plants. I’d rther have live plants than simply putting some leaves around the house. Guess I will check out the site first. Well since young I was always interesting in maintaining beautiful carpet grass in our garden. Found it most therapeutic, still miss it. My wish is to someday (maybe ) be able to do that either at my own home or at a place where I frequent. Will see. Saying hello to gardening hobbyists and enthusiasts here.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, Mike. You have the name of a Malaysian or Singaporean!

You probably need Venus Flytrap or insect busting plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @BohoKitten , my condolences to you for the loss of your mum. It's the anniversary of my Mum's passing next week.....they are very special people indeed and are always with us.

I'm sure you will do justice to her garden and she would've been very proud of your achievements.:)(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to you too @Mike Ang , a warm welcome to the forum :)

All types of gardeners are most welcomed here.....indoor houseplants have equal importance....to surround yourself with living plants be indoors or out is very therapeutic :):)(y)

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Everyone! I have been searching for a forum to help me on this journey and I think this is it! So a little back story. I get my green thumb from my mom! for as long as I can remember, we had too many houseplants and not enough yard lol I regret not spending more time in the yard working with her instead of just being out there with her :( my mom passed away nov 2011, and i know now that i had so much more to learn from her!! she was well on her way to becoming a Master Gardener through PennState (I think! I will check the details later!) and she had a horticulture degree and was in the middle of a botany something or other... She also was interested in Hydroponics! Well, While I did get her green thumb, my talents sparkle when it comes to house plants, tropical's, water plants, succulent's and cacti! (i make terrariums, fairy gardens and potted water displays and sell them to fund my cat rescue :cat:!!) anyway, I am now living in my mom's house and I have a basement full of gardening stuff, plus a big back yard that has barely been touched since she passed! i just couldn't do it last year :cry: but now I want to bring it back and make it a mix of me and her but i have absolutely NO clue where to begin! there are i think 6 beds sectioned off on the right, a separate bed she had pumpkins, corn, gourds n such in, and then a bunch of rose bushes, honeysuckle and a few other perennials around the fence border. oh and i had a tree cut down and its in the middle of my yard nowo_O:banghead: (i'll be getting to that here shortly!) So I am heading out now to take some pictures, and I have so many questions!! I will try to get them all to the right threads but please bare with me as this is my 1st time using a forum also! TIA! cant wait to get growing!
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you a quite a head start on gardening.

Mike Ang

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Equatorial
Country
Singapore
Welcome to the forum, Mike. You have the name of a Malaysian or Singaporean!

You probably need Venus Flytrap or insect busting plants!
I will check out “Venus flytrap” but not likely to use it. Am looking to plant or get a plant that insects especially mosquito seem to run away from. Thanks for your reply.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Fragrant Plants That Repel Mosquitoes
  • Citronella. While citronella candles are often laden with chemicals, the citronella plant (officially known as the citrosum plant and often referred to as the mosquito plant) can be grown in your garden for mosquito control. ...
  • Lemon Balm. ...
  • Lavender. ...
  • Garlic. ...
  • Pennyroyal. ...
  • Rosemary.
http://www.naturallivingideas.com/11-plants-that-repel-mosquitoes/

Mike Ang

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Equatorial
Country
Singapore
Fragrant Plants That Repel Mosquitoes
  • Citronella. While citronella candles are often laden with chemicals, the citronella plant (officially known as the citrosum plant and often referred to as the mosquito plant) can be grown in your garden for mosquito control. ...
  • Lemon Balm. ...
  • Lavender. ...
  • Garlic. ...
  • Pennyroyal. ...
  • Rosemary.
http://www.naturallivingideas.com/11-plants-that-repel-mosquitoes/
Thank you alp I shall look up your suggested plants. Thank you.

Ask a Question