New Home (to me), Massive Old Apple Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everybody, this is my first time visiting and posting in this forum. I'll get right to the situation. I just purchased my grandmother's home from her at the end of 2021. My grandmother planted this apple tree 60 years and the tree was her pride and joy. She was known in the neighborhood for making awesome apple pies every year. As she got older she was not able to keep the tree pruned regularly. The only thing that I know for sure is that last year the tree produced maybe 40 apples. I didn't live in the area until a couple years ago so I can't speak much about the prior years. My question is, I don't even know where to start with this tree. I've read a lot of articles from our local university regarding pruning and I'm still a little unsure about how to tackle this task. Any tips would be great, thank you.
20220321_192543.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Do you know which cultivar of Apple (Malus domestica) this is? If not, can you tell if it is a spur-bearing variety?

In any case, rejuvenating this apple tree is a procedure that should be done in stages.

Post some more up close shots of the branches. It will help to judge the density of the branches. A lot of them will need to go, in any case.

Ask a Question