New flower bed

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Oh dear alp; 6" thick concrete would certainly suppress any weeds in fact suppress anything and I can happily loan you my pet cloud Blackie to keep the dust down? :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'll second that Colin....don't you dare give up @alp !

Quite often new gardeners are told to select one part of the garden at a time to work on so that it's not too daunting, may be that's the way to go. Or have a gravel garden that's easier to keep. :)

Internet picture
th

Excellent advice Sheal and I for one fully endorse it. (y) I never ever thought I'd even attempt to dig our rear garden over because it's so steep and full of roots and stones; at one time I considered buying an Howard rotavator but friends who use one of these rotavators on their allotment convinced me it would be too dangerous; the roots too would overpower it.

Over the last few weeks though I've done exactly as advised to you alp by Sheal and I started in one bottom corner digging by spade the old fashioned way; I went through roots pulling these out as digging proceeded also stones were cast aside; after the first hours graft I was hot but I could see some progress; spurred on by this I started to increase the area already dug over; in all it must have taken at least a month involving removing a long hedge and digging up the stumps and roots but I kept at it some days digging for an hour other days digging for two hours but now I'm finally on top of the digging only being beaten by our dire climate. Many days I was frozen by the cold weather; I was rained and hailed on also Gale kept trying her best to blow me over but I'm stubborn and won through.

Bron has kindly bought me a new Hyundai rotavator for Christmas and now the roots; stones and other assorted debris has been cleared and a lot of the garden dug to about 6" deep I'm looking forward to playing with the rotavator next year.

Cover your arms; legs and hands alp and show the nettles who is boss; nettles pull out easily but heavy gloves are needed; I always have a dozen pair of rigger gloves in stock and these gloves are perfect for such work. How big is the area you want to clear alp? I think though such a job is now best left until next springtime? Good luck. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'll second that Colin....don't you dare give up @alp !

Quite often new gardeners are told to select one part of the garden at a time to work on so that it's not too daunting, may be that's the way to go. Or have a gravel garden that's easier to keep. :)

Internet picture
th

Very nice of you to cheer me up. I'm thinking of hibernating myself. Hope I can get the job and do something worthwhile.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Cover your arms; legs and hands alp and show the nettles who is boss; nettles pull out easily but heavy gloves are needed; I always have a dozen pair of rigger gloves in stock and these gloves are perfect for such work. How big is the area you want to clear alp? I think though such a job is now best left until next springtime? Good luck. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

I know I should do that and should post so many off topic threads here and then be told that I don't understand the difference among the structure of the site. I will make this a wish and hopefully you won't see me posting every day. You know Colin, people now favour no dig as they think digging disturbs soil and damage the bacteria and ecology of the soil structure. The damage could be quite bad. So after clearing up, you can just mulch and mulch and mulch and save hurting your arms and legs.. I think I could start a topic dig or no dig.. That way, I wouldn't be off topic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Colin is right, a couple of hours here and there will get the job done. It doesn't have to be completed asap, gardening should be pleasurable not a chore. Pace yourself Alp, gardens are and endless job and from time to time we have to back away - take time out, even for a few weeks to regain that urge to get going again. :)

I think the no dig idea is a load of twaddle that somebody has thought up. :( The human race has been working the land for thousands of years, have they had issues growing anything other than the norm for those eras? Did they worry about soil structure etc.? Looking at it from another point of view.....if we don't dig the soil it compacts, compaction can create flooding because the soil doesn't drain properly. It also lacks air which is needed to help plants grow. Lawns are a good example and is why we spike them to let air in, when they become impacted more weeds grow and they choke with moss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome and thank you wisedude24. :)

It may be a while before the bed comes to anything as I wasn't banking on the last five weeks of either snow or frost holding up progress. More snow is expected this coming weekend. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question