Watering solution for flower bed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. Looking to see if anyone has any relatively easy, affordable watering solutions. We rent a house with a flowerbed in front that is 60 ft long and 8 feet wide. it takes forever and a day to water with hose and sprayer. I know what I want in my mind, but haven't been able to find anything online to match it. I'd like something, like sprinklers in series, that I could run down the middle of the flower bed for the full 60 feet and that would spray water to cover the 8 ft width. I can find some things that match conceptually, but they either cover way too large of an area, or not wide enough to hit the full 8 ft of the flower bed width.

Thoughts? TIA!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Very Easy. One roll of below cut to 60' and the sprayer emitter that suites your needs Sprayer emitter selection is typically on how high off the ground you want the spray, based on plant types. Add a hose end snap connection to make it easy to hook up and unhook and maybe a mechanical timer at the hose bib so you can set it and let it turn off on it's own.

I have three beds set up using above with one hose. Clip it in and turn it on and comeback later. Clip the hose into the next one turn it on and comeback later. Very effective and easy. Oh and get out ans explore the hardware store and see what you can build with what the sell. Touch parts, visualize how they will work, ask some questions, experiment. Internet does not allow this. I come up with some good solutions to things by doing above. All of below, all of what you need can be had a Home Deport for about $50.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Run this down the bed
875f9bfb-bc06-442d-84da-a7c5c423e7ab_1000.jpg

Add these at appropriate intervals and you should find some that have 8' coverage. You can get the sprayer that are low (ground level) to high like below. Depends on the plants needs.
http://www.digcorp.com/homeowner-drip-irrigation-products/fan-spray-jet
7e4ed7c1-d018-41b6-bb6c-6ec1ac11c47e_1000.jpg

Put this on the end for easy hook up to your hose.
3ab02d6e-bb11-4d9e-bb52-b3a84cc492b3_1000.jpg

Use on of these at the hose bid if you want to turn it on a leave it go.
7c68b99e-d3f9-4706-bbb8-0a578c360cde_1000.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great, thanks for the tip! I have seen some setups like this on Amazon, but only with 50 ft hoses. Didn't see any longer. I will look into more of a custom setup as you suggest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you find that the sprinklers above do a true 360 degree spray? Reviews on Home Depot (for the red tip sprayer) say it does not. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Do you find that the sprinklers above do a true 360 degree spray? Reviews on Home Depot (for the red tip sprayer) say it does not. Thanks!

All sprinklers should have overlap as basic principle, I would suggest you space them a closer than 8' apart just for starters. This will ensure complete coverage and still maintain you need for 8' of width. I rotate mine them slightly to establish a effective pattern. Be creative, run two lines and lower the run time if you feel coverage is not as need. Need a little extra coverage, run a 1/4' line out with an extra emitter.

It is a viable simple solution, don't stumble on things like the 360 degree issue, yes it projects somewhat like a bow tie, find one that don't or add another near it. When you put everything in check the coverage, got a gap, add an emitter, cheap and easy. This is gardening, playing in the dirt, not programming. If you really want to get technical do a couple of these.
http://www.digcorp.com/homeowner-drip-irrigation-resources#video_articles
https://www.irrigationdirect.com/articles/drip-irrigation-design-and-installation-part-1

I recommend, if possible, get out and explore the hardware store and see what you can build with what the sell. Touch parts, visualize how they will work, ask some questions, experiment. Internet does not allow this.

Ask a Question