Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
18 July 2018 Watering
Posted on July 18, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/July 2018/18 July 2018 Watering/HTML/ 18 July 2018 Watering
The garden needs watering. There are four barrels which trap roof run off, but if there is insufficient city water is used. Delivery is via hose. When placing plants in the ground the roots are marked with four foot fiber rods. To water say potatoes the hose is placed over the wand and the liquid is directed at the roots for maximum effect. The garden is watered in segments. Tomato plants are watered by hand using a pail. No area watering is practiced, only direct root watering to conserve and for maximum effect. The inter space between rows is mulched to reduce the evaporation effect. Watering is tedious and not done unless absolutely necessary.
017_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to face a hosepipe ban in my part of the UK.
The good news is that, because drip-feed irrigation systems are deemed very efficient, they are exempt.
I have four such systems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There wouldn’t be a hosepipe ban if the water authorities fixed all there leaks where 20% of water is lost !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Adapting to requirements takes some effort. I prefer hand watering and only the roots. This depends a great deal on the size one is trying to cultivate. I also prefer rain water if possible. Now I can estimate with some accuracy the size or number of plants required for my use fairly accurately.

Drip and mechanical systems I avoid. They are not worth the hassle and are not particularly accurate. IMO. Also too time consuming.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Think there’s pros and cons for both
I agree with rain water also by hand watering easyier to spot problems or diseases faster !

Ask a Question